New Title: In Indy

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozarkansas

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone here is going to the convention in Indianapolis this fall? If so will you be showing? I will be showing Beveren and possibly American.

We made the decision to not go this year. The one in 2018 will be closer to home.
Plus... all these little Wooly rabbits are so far Out of coat.. that i do not think they would be able to hold their own at this time.

We did go to Indy in 2011 and What a Show it was ! High numbers in every breed. Beautiful rabbits anywhere one looked.
I highly recommend going....if only to look and observe.

Random Rabbit":3db1ahlh said:
We made the decision to not go this year. The one in 2018 will be closer to home.
Plus... all these little Wooly rabbits are so far Out of coat.. that i do not think they would be able to hold their own at this time.

We did go to Indy in 2011 and What a Show it was ! High numbers in every breed. Beautiful rabbits anywhere one looked.
I highly recommend going....if only to look and observe.
This will be my first time attending, and I think it will be worth it! Sorry to hear not very many other RT members are going, but I can post pictures so you guys will know it happened ;)

faiththequeen":51yvgntt said:
I really want to go. Just to check it out. I've never been to a convention. What's it like? Are they allowed to sell there? Or only the show animals allowed?
Well I've never been, but I hear it is "breathtaking", 20,000 rabbits and their owners all in one place! You can google ARBA convention and click on images to get the idea of what it's like. Yes people sell there, but you can't take your rabbits home until the last day, and you have to have a permission slip from the seller to take their rabbit out of the show room. I am assuming that rabbits there are probably expensive, but are also the best lines.

I've only been breeding and showing for 3 years, so I don't feel I have the Rabbits for the "big" show!

Also, I'd have to plan vacation time around a show like that!! (I already have all my vacation stuff planned for 2017 and my hubby isn't really a rabbit person, so he wouldn't be interested in it...lol )

I would like to send one rabbit with a friend to show... but, not sure if its worth the trouble for someone else to show my rabbit :D

SarniaTricia":1qjpjx5v said:
I've only been breeding and showing for 3 years, so I don't feel I have the Rabbits for the "big" show!

Also, I'd have to plan vacation time around a show like that!! (I already have all my vacation stuff planned for 2017 and my hubby isn't really a rabbit person, so he wouldn't be interested in it...lol )

I would like to send one rabbit with a friend to show... but, not sure if its worth the trouble for someone else to show my rabbit :D
I only feel like I have rabbits for "the big show" because I have a rare breed and convention winning lines. And I have wondered how so many people manage to get to the convention, when it is in the middle of the week in the school year :shock:

faiththequeen":mspees0r said:
I really want to go. Just to check it out. I've never been to a convention. What's it like? Are they allowed to sell there? Or only the show animals allowed?

So many rabbits. When I went to my first convention, I just could not fathom how many rabbits there were in one room. And then it turns that was only one room, the smallest of three that held rabbits that year. Only rabbits entered are allowed in the building; some people keep their extra sale rabbits in their hotel room with signs and contact info in the main building. Other people just enter all their extra sale stock and add the entry fee to the price. If they really don't want it shown (only there to sell) they enter it and then scratch the entry so they still have the coop. (entry fees and transport are one of the reasons the rabbits there are more expensive). Edit: also, animals are not allowed to leave the building at all under the show finishes, so if you buy an animal you have to come back after convention to get it from the show room.

Ozarkansas":mspees0r said:
And I have wondered how so many people manage to get to the convention, when it is in the middle of the week in the school year :shock:

Ugh, I feel you there. It's quite a pain getting there when you have school. I used to be big into royalty and I had to skip a week of school for convention each year. ARBA used to a have a letter to schools that you could print and hand in, saying with the convention was and why you should be excused, but they don't anymore. I never used it anyway; luckily my school was pretty relaxed about that.

Ozarkansas":kfjcilzn said:
And I have wondered how so many people manage to get to the convention, when it is in the middle of the week in the school year :shock:

SableSteel":kfjcilzn said:
Ugh, I feel you there. It's quite a pain getting there when you have school. I used to be big into royalty and I had to skip a week of school for convention each year. ARBA used to a have a letter to schools that you could print and hand in, saying with the convention was and why you should be excused, but they don't anymore. I never used it anyway; luckily my school was pretty relaxed about that.
I'm homeschooled so it's not a big deal, but it must be hard for people in school and people who have kids in school. I'm trying royalty this year, it sounded like fun to me! :D

faiththequeen":332brteg said:
Well, my husband and I just decided to make a little overnight trip of it and I just booked our hotel!!! I'm so excited! I can't wait to see it all :mbounce:
Great!! :D :D

faiththequeen":3fez26dh said:

Visitors are most welcome.
Yes, rabbits "may" be sold there ... but ....
#1 They must be entered in the show. the $17 entry fee Will get tacked onto the price.
#2.... a great many exhibitors seem to price the rabbits sky high as "Convention Rabbits"... never-mind the actual Quality of the animal. :(
#3 All rabbits entered in Convention Must stay until the closing day when all are released.

Now... if one makes arrangements with a particular breeder, Before the show opens... Sometimes one can take possession of the rabbit Before it goes Inside the building. Once inside, it will be there for the duration. The sponsoring clubs for the various Conventions are pretty strict about animals being sold Outside the venue. They do Not want a flea market atmosphere.

If You can go... Do ! It is kinda mind-boggling... the size of the show. Just about every National Breed Club will have a booth with items to sell and raffles. And there are all sorts of equipment vendors with everything and Anything rabbit.

Thank you SableSteel and Random Rabbit for explaining the sales situition in more depth! I actually bought a rabbit from convention last year. I payed for the rabbit, entry fee and transportation, the seller and transporter took care of the little details.

And the booths have a competition for best decorations, so they go all out with (mostly) rabbit related decor. The history booth is a good one to visit too; they usually have historical stuff out for people to look at, which is one of my favorite things to see. Speaking of booths, if you want to buy official merchandise for this convention, like a shirt or a patch, go on the the first day; they sell out quickly. Plenty of vendors have booths too, and you can buy pretty much anything and everything rabbit related at convention.

I'm going as a spectator! Unfortunately don't have anything to show because I lost all my stock a couple years ago and just this week got a new starter herd for showing. I think I'm going the first day, to try and scope out any sales rabbits and maybe get a t-shirt.
Hopefully by the next one thats close by (I'm an hour or so from Indy) I'll have plenty to enter.

If anyone wants to meet up I'd love to meet some RT members!

OnTheBrightside":abaou44l said:
I'm going as a spectator! Unfortunately don't have anything to show because I lost all my stock a couple years ago and just this week got a new starter herd for showing. I think I'm going the first day, to try and scope out any sales rabbits and maybe get a t-shirt.
Hopefully by the next one thats close by (I'm an hour or so from Indy) I'll have plenty to enter.

If anyone wants to meet up I'd love to meet some RT members!

Sorry to hear about you stock :( I *might* see you there, but there will be a lot of people and a lot of stuff going on... And just out of curiosity, what breed do you have?

Back