bittersweet: homes for my last two

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looks like I am almost done with rabbits for this stage of life :( . We contemplated keeping one for a pet when we move, but I really don't know what life is going to look like and I want to keep things as simple as possible starting out. We'll have the one dog, maybe a cat, and that's about it... It's going to make travel so much easier though. We have only been home for about 48 hours the last two weeks so it was a lot of scrambling to get feed stocked up for our neighbor to have, and feeding them while dog tired when we were home and I could barely lift my feet to walk. I still have the chickens and pigs, but the pigs are going somewhere eventually (when they eventually get their pen ready... which is what they have said since I got them as days old piglets months ago). That same cousin is getting the last rabbit, but I am contemplating trying to get her set up in a single hutch by the house so we don't have to subject ourselves to the horrendous mosquitoes just to feed and water her while he gets a spot ready for her. Bittersweet. Sad that so much of what I worked towards is quickly disappearing before my eyes (animals, garden, small farmstead in general), but relieved that it's one less commitment to have to think about when we are out of town nor will I have to terminally cull them. Chickens are the easiest b/c I can load them up with food and water and they are good to go for a couple/few days.

It must be very hard to let the critters go . . . but by and by you will miss them less and turn your thoughts to the good things your new place has to offer.

(And there's always pigeons to consider . . . and that pond. You'll soon find new projects to enjoy in your backyard oasis.

I will definitely find something to tinker with - I think my brain needs projects to plan out. I have pics of the rock garden beds that are already there that I will get to play with! They are neglected, but I don't think it will take much... just need to figure out what to plant. I have never had shade to work with, not to mention another growing zone as well!

Back