How do you mark your babies?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maleficent

Reaction score
So I was wondering how you guys mark your babies after you check for gender? My lot are almost 10 days old and I decided to start trying to look for gender based on slit= girl and pin prick= boy.

I got to reading that you can take a bit of food coloring and mark them that way to keep track so I used that method as we currently have no non-toxic markers. The colors I used were red= girls, blue= boys, and green/yellow= unsure. On dark kits its hard to find a color that will show up and will try yellow next time on them. Either way my current ratio is 1:4:3 or girl:boy:unsure.

i found that marker and food dye rubbed out of my rabbits' ears really quickly, so i generally don't bother sexing until they're 8 weeks (selling age,) now. then i just set aside an hour or so to sex and immediately tattoo them. does are odd numbers, bucks even. it makes it easy to sex them after that, just check the ear. i still will sex them again with the buyer present, since it's so easy to make a mistake when they're young. better to doublecheck then get a call that someone's "doe" sprouted balls :p

Haha I am certain I will have to keep marking them/touching up every few days to a week. For now though this makes a it easy for me to tell a few apart that look similar. Plus the kids want to start naming them even though we can't keep all of them. :roll:

The tiniest one that I am pretty certain is a girl has been nicknamed Thumbelina for the time being and one of the black kits which I am certain is a boy was nicknamed Berloiz from the Aristacats.

I just used a sharpie, never had any issues. Red lasts the longest. With kits in the nest it needs re-applying every day, but once they're out of the nest it usually lasts a couple days or so.

Since almost all my rabbits are different (except the REWs that started to pop up lately) I write down a significant marking (big spot left cheek, white tipped ear, white toe, h-pattern on the back [actually this one got the name Houdini, always outside the fence and for a long time I had no idea how], etc...). It sometimes takes some time to find a spot that's different, but once detected it cannot be made unseen :D

The REWs, well, the only female, Dirty, got a piece of poop stuck in her fur that lasted long enough til seperation. The other whites are all girls, but one has a lopped ear most of the time.

We may or may not have stolen some markers from the hospital that they use for surgery. Lasts a few weeks, non toxic, and really easy to just grab a few...

Latest posts

Back