Broken/ Butterfly Pattern

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver Willow

Reaction score
Does anyone breed Brokens or Butterflies for show? Is it really that hard? Is it worth it?

I've been advised against brokens by a breeder who I respect allot- she has over 30 years worth of breeding and showing experience. I'm just wondering what your opinions are?

I know I've posted some random topics lately. I'm just trying to come up with a goal for my rabbitry to keep me on task, and would love to do something a little different.

Pretty much all the really good Netherland Dwarfs in my country are either Sable, REW, Himalayan, or Black Otter etc. Nothing wrong with those colours- I'd just like something different, while still being a little competitive at the same time. Thoughts?...

I have brokens in my French Angora. I don't find them difficult but there are things to remember. Half of every litter is broken if one parent is broken. You shouldn't breed broken to broken, so sometimes that adds a breeding hiccup. And I find about 1 in 4 has a mismark, usually in the form of only a half butterfly. But, they are flashy.

They would be super pretty! So I'm assuming you show them? I've heard it's hard/impossible to be competitive with brokens against solid rabbits. I'm not too worried about winning heaps, but I do want to be a little competitive...

Yes, I've read about the broken to solid thing. About the only genetics I know :p So if I were to have a limit of just 5 breeding rabbits, would you advise against it?

One last thing... in NZ only Butterfly ND's are accepted, not actual Brokens. Would this be any different? How random is the pattern? As in, if you start with well marked rabbits, are the resulting kits most likely to be well marked too?

You definitely need to find well marked to start off with for breeding butterflies. Half butterflies or other problems with the nose marking are genetic. The pattern is partially random, which is why it is considered hard to breed them compared to solid. Another thing; if you are breeding for the butterfly pattern finding solids with butterfly ancestry will help you, the pattern is affected by the genes of the solid parent too

19488570_10212205500028389_5879763168096879022_o.jpg

19732284_10212334610216063_4116930909727813557_n.jpg

20626465_10212605423226219_4830584075340554200_o.jpg

Brokens in chestnut, chocolate, red and chocolate agouti.

Latest posts

Back