Register

Watering

Advice on purchasing or constructing cages and hutches for your rabbitry.
Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 4,837.00

Watering

Post Number:#1  Unread postby faiththequeen » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:57 pm

So since we are starting fresh with our rabbity, I'd love some input on watering the buns. We have always used Lixit wide mouth bottles in the past. They're ok. But we have a constant issue with slimy algae. And , of course, the usual frozen bottles in winter.
What do you guys use? What works and doesn't work for you? TIA!!
Faith the Queen :king:

Site Admin
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 58,643.00

Re: Watering

Post Number:#2  Unread postby MaggieJ » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:14 pm

I always preferred crocks. In the case of a messy rabbit, I elevated the crock on a block of some type. There are individual crocks that can be attached to the cage wire and they seem like a good choice. I don't know how they'd be in winter.

In winter, I improvised an easy to thaw system with nesting freezer containers attached to the wire. The inner one held the water; the outer one was the holder. I'd go around with a bucket of good warm water, unmould the ice in a flash and refill all in about 10 seconds a cage. Some rabbits fling these about, but I only had one that did it. A metal potato chip clip fixed the problem.

The black rubber bowls for livestock also work well as they are unbreakable.

The following user would like to thank MaggieJ for this post
faiththequeen

1 year of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 2,330.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby shazza » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:09 pm

i use an automatic gravity water system. i did bottles when we first got the rabbits, but i had to refill them 2+ times a day because they constantly leaked and if it was hot of course the rabbits drank more. it took forever every morning just refiling six - now i have 14 breeders PLUS my growouts. crocks got knocked over and pooped in, and i just don't have time nor energy for that.

the water system is really convenient, easy to set up, and the buckets i use hold enough water to last 6 rabbits about three days. a little less when there's kits involved. the only issue i'm having really is one or two the nipples keep leaking, and they are NOT cheap, so i'm having a hard time finding out what is happening so i can prevent it. it may be the hard water where i live, but soaking them in vinegar doesn't seem to help much so i'm not sure what to do.

edit: i also should probably add that i never have to deal with freezing lines. i live in texas, it freezes maybe twice a year. i know they do make heaters for the buckets and insulation for the tubing if you do live somewhere with proper season though.
Last edited by shazza on Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
mini lop, standard rex, meat mutts
tumblr: @babbits | facebook: @frithyeer.rabbits | ig: @frithyeerfarm

The following user would like to thank shazza for this post
faiththequeen

Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Austria
BunnyBucks: 3,708.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Preitler » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:12 am

I use crocks, easy to clean and to refill. Not much work, 4 hutches (2 pairs and a single doe, and my buck)
In winter I put a heating pad (actually it's electro magnets misused as heating pad) under the crocks, which heat with 2-5W, hooked to a old car battery charger. For just around freezing 6V are enough, 12V are good down to -10°C, there are only few days colder than that.

I first tried with upside down bottles in little, heated cans, but the bottles always froze.
"Sometimes I stand by the door and look into the darkness, then I am reminded how dearly I cherish my boredom, and what a precious commodity is so much misery"

The following user would like to thank Preitler for this post
faiththequeen

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 20,677.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby Marinea » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:23 am

I use both bottles and Crocks during the summer when they are drinking a lot. During the winter, I use just the bowls, heavy duty plastic ones that are easy to get the ice out of.
Bird House Farm
Organic heirloom farming on a small scale

The following user would like to thank Marinea for this post
faiththequeen

BunnyBucks: 315.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Lowstorm » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:10 am

I use a big 3 gallon chicken waterer in summer, and a couple of crocks with hot water 2x a day in winter. But we hit -40 in January/February pretty reliably.

The following user would like to thank Lowstorm for this post
faiththequeen

1 year of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 3,598.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby SarniaTricia » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:57 am

I'm currently working on a 5 gallon pail with a float... hooked to a garden hose in the hay loft... gravity fed... Running tubing to cages with nipples....

a couple of concerns that keep stalling me...
The amount of tubing is insane!! (good thing it is only 0.35 a foot)
the nipples were ordered off ebay - I've already replaced a couple that have broken.
concerned that the float will fail and get water in the loft, then into the rabbitry beneath.

I just need another 100 feet of so of tubing and a few hours and I'll be all done,,,, just in time to dismantle for the winter and go back to crocks...lol :lol:
Breeding Magpie Harlequin Rabbits for Showing, Meat and Pelts...
Working towards a farm to raise animals with respect and care.
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

https://www.facebook.com/BABRabbits/
https://www.facebook.com/Growing-Urban- ... 749253819/
https://www.facebook.com/AmherstburgFarmersMarket/

The following user would like to thank SarniaTricia for this post
faiththequeen