Urgent!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oscar

Reaction score
My doe got bred to be due July first, I tried not to disturb her so I just fed and watered her. This weekend she went missing but we had to leave for camping, I haven't noticed that she has been getting out but apparently she had been, I thought she hadn't took from the breeding which was accidental, I came back home today and went to look for her in extra woof from building that we had and found five babies! I will keep looking for mom but what do I do until then?

place a trap near the babies with food and water.

If you dont have a trap, just visit frequently to try and see her

I'm confused.

If the doe was bred to be DUE on July 1st, those kits would be close to six weeks old. Do you mean you bred her on July 1st and she kindled early August?

Also, I don't understand exactly where you found the kits. In a pile of wood near a building? She will probably return only twice a day, typically early morning and dusk to feed the kits. The live trap is a good idea.

Another thing to keep in mind for the future. There is no need to avoid the doe just because she is pregnant. She'll be happier getting her accustomed attention and treats.

I'll have to check my calendar, now that you mention it I think she was bred July 1st because the babies are about the size of a small pear. We have a shed and to the right of the there is the chicken coop and then to the right of that there is an empty space that we keep extra 2x4 and plywood, they where hiding under that, It is still a mystery as of how she got in and out every day to feed them, or got out to birth them, I still can't find their nest but they are well fed, does anybody think I need to hand feed them? I will try to live trap mom.

How old are the babies? Are their eyes open and are they hopping around? Or still in the nest and helpless? If you trap the mom, she won't be able to feed the babies, unless you can catch them too and reunite them with the doe in a cage. Loose, she will no doubt continue to feed them, but they all may be at risk from predators.

If you have extra fencing, perhaps you could surround the woodpile where the kits are, just leaving a gap for the doe to get in, and then close off the opening when you see her go in.

Is there someone on the spot (parent, relative, good neighbour, perhaps) who could help you figure out the best way to go about this. We can make suggestions, but only people who are there can size up the situation accurately.

The babies are more than likely 13 days old. So they are out and moving around. I caught all 5 babies already, and have set a live trap to try to catch her. My parents know nothing about rabbits.

If you place the kits in a cage near where they were you may find the mother trying to get to them to feed them. If you see her and she's some what tame she will go in the cage if you open the door.

Thanks MaggieJ, I'm thinking she might go in the trap for her pellets she did the other day :popcorn: , I got some evaporated milk and hand fed them tonight. I will check out that thread. <br /><br /> -- Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:39 pm -- <br /><br /> I caught mom! I had to put them in a different pen so they wouldn't be getting out again.

Back