Bunny berries and tilapia?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
So this is just an idea - I have surfed the web but not found much info yet - I had long ago when I watched a show on raising fish and they said that Tilapia were raised with striped bass because they ate the bass poo, hence kept the tanks cleaner and fattened nicely on it.

So would rabbit manure (lovely stuff that it is) work as a feed for a manure eating, kind of vegetarian fish?

I know at first thought its a bit icky but, well, the worms grow fine and fat under the cages and I have seen what catfish eat and I am happy enough to eat them and waste not, want not and all that.

Would it work, do you think?

I got a small pool when we moved into the new place - 12 ft across and 30 inches deep - and, because i have had many problems keeping that small a pool clean for the kids to swim in I sited it in deep shade this time.

The keeping it clean has worked GREAT but even with a heat index well over 100 it is staying down near 80 so the kids dont like to use it. :roll: Argh talk about best laid plans! :lol:

So I think I will get the Craigslist special of 25 fingerlings for $25 and put them into the pool and see how they do.

The rabbits are all now grain and forage fed so their "berries" should be high quality.

The first plan was smaller containers but this might be more fun for the kids, at least in the pool they should be able to see the fish.

No experience with this at all, but it occurs to me that raccoons might enjoy your pond as their own special buffet. If they are a problem where you live, you might want to think about ways to keep them out of it before you order those fingerlings.

Dogs! Two in fact. Them keeping things out of the yard is the ONLY reason I havnt put a bullet though their itty, bitty, tiny ittle brains! Its a toss up as to who does more damage to a garden, my own dogs or the local wildlife. :evil:

But they are ace at keeping everything, including bears, away so they get a pass friend. :lol:

Wish I knew how to fix the well pump switch thing, normally it gets a bug in it so brushing it out makes it go again but this time one of the contact points has come out of alignment, I cant figure how to get it back and the light has gone.

So the fish money this month will probably have to buy a new contact switch thingy for the pump.

Pardon me while I bang my head bloody on the wall, its the only thing I can think of to make me feel better. :explode: <br /><br /> __________ Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:27 am __________ <br /><br /> Fish back on, managed to fix the pump. Again. Dont you love temporary fixes? They either last ten min. or ten years. Fingers crossed for a long temp fix this time. :lol:

I have seen this discussed on an aquaponics forum. Look here - you may have to scroll up to the beginning of the chat.
http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3198&p=120445&hilit=rabbit+poo#p120445

Back