Register

American Rabbits (Blue and White)

Discussion of specific breeds, breed standards and selection criteria for purebreds.
Site Supporter
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 40.00

Re: American Rabbits (Blue and White)

Post Number:#16  Unread postby dsneed1002 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:39 am

That's interesting, I may keep a white at some point just to see it. All my whites meet Mr. Food Saver. In my four years I've noticed I get a white or two about every third litter. I haven't tried to nail down what pairings may not produce any at all. I've been considering watching that sort of thing now that I started producing more. Since I got a new job at a much larger warehouse I found a lot more people who appreciate domestic rabbit.
Thanks for the info :)

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 1,323.00

Re: American Rabbits (Blue and White)

Post Number:#17  Unread postby JessiL » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:38 pm

I love my Americans! They are more "spirited" than many other breeds, but having actual personalities is a big plus in my book. I as well don't subscribe to the theory that crossing in black could possibly improve the blue color. Unless you account for how it is even easier to see scattered white hairs on a black animal than it is on the blues. Anyway, mine seem quite heat tolerant which is very important to me. And they happily breed year-round, unlike some other breeds I've tried that have been finicky about both winter and summer breeding. I'm starting to work more on improving the coats in my lines, that's currently their big weakness (and seems to be the big weakness of the breed in general, at least out on the west coast). But there are so many positives, such as large litters, great mothering abilities, the heat tolerance, interesting attitudes, and respectable enough growth rates, that I put up with fur that would be laughed at by a serious NZ breeder.

Previous