Register

Broken/ Butterfly Pattern

A place to ask about rabbit colours and to discuss rabbit genetics -- and how to breed for the desired results.
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
New Zealand Female
BunnyBucks: 1,513.00

Broken/ Butterfly Pattern

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Silver Willow » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:50 pm

Does anyone breed Brokens or Butterflies for show? Is it really that hard? Is it worth it?

I've been advised against brokens by a breeder who I respect allot- she has over 30 years worth of breeding and showing experience. I'm just wondering what your opinions are?

I know I've posted some random topics lately. I'm just trying to come up with a goal for my rabbitry to keep me on task, and would love to do something a little different.

Pretty much all the really good Netherland Dwarfs in my country are either Sable, REW, Himalayan, or Black Otter etc. Nothing wrong with those colours- I'd just like something different, while still being a little competitive at the same time. Thoughts?...
Little Willow Rabbitry
Purebred Netherland Dwarfs
http://littlewillowrabbitry.weebly.com/

Site Supporter
1 year of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 2,151.00

Re: Broken/ Butterfly Pattern

Post Number:#2  Unread postby SixGun » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:17 pm

I have brokens in my French Angora. I don't find them difficult but there are things to remember. Half of every litter is broken if one parent is broken. You shouldn't breed broken to broken, so sometimes that adds a breeding hiccup. And I find about 1 in 4 has a mismark, usually in the form of only a half butterfly. But, they are flashy.

The following user would like to thank SixGun for this post
Silver Willow

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
New Zealand Female

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Silver Willow » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:04 pm

They would be super pretty! So I'm assuming you show them? I've heard it's hard/impossible to be competitive with brokens against solid rabbits. I'm not too worried about winning heaps, but I do want to be a little competitive...

Yes, I've read about the broken to solid thing. About the only genetics I know :P So if I were to have a limit of just 5 breeding rabbits, would you advise against it?

One last thing... in NZ only Butterfly ND's are accepted, not actual Brokens. Would this be any different? How random is the pattern? As in, if you start with well marked rabbits, are the resulting kits most likely to be well marked too?
Little Willow Rabbitry

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 3,090.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby SableSteel » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:05 pm

You definitely need to find well marked to start off with for breeding butterflies. Half butterflies or other problems with the nose marking are genetic. The pattern is partially random, which is why it is considered hard to breed them compared to solid. Another thing; if you are breeding for the butterfly pattern finding solids with butterfly ancestry will help you, the pattern is affected by the genes of the solid parent too
I have shown: bruns, hares, petites, dutch, spots, Flemish, harlequin, Havana, Himalayan, Hollands, jersey wooly, mini lop, mini rex, dwarfs, NZW, polish, standard chins, tan, vlops; American & coronet cavies

thesodi.com - the chicken game

The following user would like to thank SableSteel for this post
Silver Willow

New Zealand Female

Post Number:#5  Unread postby Silver Willow » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:53 pm

That makes sense. Thank you! :)
Little Willow Rabbitry

Site Supporter
1 year of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 2,151.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby SixGun » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:53 pm

Brokens in chestnut, chocolate, red and chocolate agouti.

New Zealand Female

Post Number:#7  Unread postby Silver Willow » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:32 pm

They're beautiful! French Angora? They look super chilled too. That chocolate is gorgeous <3
Little Willow Rabbitry