Emergency!!! Please help!! (Choking)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeaTimeBunnies

Reaction score
I think this is were I'd put this, but anyway. I have a kit that seems to be either choking or gasping for air. They were all fine after morning breakfast, and it doesn't seem like the doe has fed them again yet. It isn't moving really at all. It has it's mouth open. I'm not really sure what's wrong

Just saw this. It sounds as though the kit either aspirated some milk or half-swallowed something. Can you shine a small flashlight into the mouth and see if there is anything caught? Other than that, I have nothing to suggest. I'm sorry. :cry:

We will try looking to see if there is anything caught. Is there any we can do if it aspirated milk? <br /><br /> -- Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:01 pm -- <br /><br /> I saw a small scratch like line on it's pallet, but I didn't see an object of any kind in it's throught

I've never had that happen unless they got too cold and were basically dying. Sorry :( it's normal to lose a kit here and there, but it's always sad.

I noticed it breathing a bit between what seems to be gags. I found it in this condition in the nest. Is is possible that it could have mama's fur cought in it's throat? <br /><br /> -- Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:26 pm -- <br /><br /> It seems like it's tongue is swollen

Thanks MaggieJ. We tried the heimlich and it looked as if it had helped and it was getting better, but the baby gave up on us. It was just too weak

Ah, I am sorry. Apparently it's not so rare for rabbits to choke, but I can't recall hearing of another instance of it. Sorry I wasn't more help.

Edited to add: Hope you don't mind that I edited your title to include the word choking.

This site has several strategies to try in case of a rabbit choking. It is sadly too late for your kit, TeaTime, but perhaps having it in this thread may help someone else.
http://www.vgr1.com/choking/

Sorry to hear this but I've had this happen too. If you really want to know you could have a look but... When I went to the trouble the lungs weren't developed enough and the poor little guys are just hanging on for a short time. Really nothing you can do to save them. It's just part of breeding sometimes.
:sorry:

I don't mind the change MaggieJ. I hope this can help some others. I'm pretty sure it was choking as it had started to turn purple just before we managed to dislodge whatever it was enough that it could breath at least. I think it was a clump of the Mama's fur that got lodged when it decided to be vocal about something, because after doing the heimlich a few times I noticed some of her fur around the Kit's mouth. Then we just put a drop of water in it's mouth as needed to keep it's toung moist, and keep it from pasting to the roof of it's mouth so it could breath. It seemed as if it would have worked had the kit been strong enough to hold on. For the Google search I suggest the first link as it tells how to heimlich a rabbit. We had to modify a bit as the kit was only a few days old. We held the kit on it's stomach in the palm of our hand, braced the head between two fingers (either index and middle or middle and ring) then placed our other hand on it's back so that no delicate bones could break in the process

Latest posts

Back