Register

Selecting a Show Bunny

Discussion of rabbit shows, news and events and tips about showing your rabbits.
1 year of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 2,056.00

Re: Selecting a Show Bunny

Post Number:#16  Unread postby Nymphadora » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:10 pm

macksmom98 wrote:I am a bit more discouraged since once he checked the records he found out the rabbit did only have one leg and not two.

I'm curious if the breeder may consider lowering the price a little now, since the rabbit does not have as many accolades as originally advertised?

And hopefully someone who knows more about what to look for in a good Holland can hop in here and help you assess the conformation of that little buck.

The following user would like to thank Nymphadora for this post
macksmom98

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 4,822.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby Prisma » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:45 pm

I'm going to be very frank. To me, he is not worth that. They have every right to ask the price they are asking, I'm not saying that, its just based on what I know and have seen, not enough for this area.

If I was going to gamble that much on a JR, I'd buy from Campo or Saynora lines. They've been around many many years and have consistent high placings.

He would *not* do well here in competition based on the pictures. He lacks width in the chest (which is a BIG BIG thing with HL). He needs more width in his body over all and could use more bone (most HLs could though). Good head width and nice ears...but body he doesn't cut. Shoulders that are not set wide enough apart make the rabbit more V shaped then U which is not wanted with HLs. He *might* be good for the area, or a starter but I'm afraid you're going to find that its harder to get better using a buck that lacks width (unless you find some stellar does). Your buck is your back bone, finding a doe with solid enough features to complement him is going to be hard. If you get a doe with long shoulders or long midsection, the kits are probably going to have that problem but worse considering his body. Does would have to be super short and super heavy and wide in body to even out his faults.

This is a picture of a buck that is for sale for $100. This is an older SR that has produced show offspring though. He has his problems too, his head isn't as near as good as the one you're considering. But it IS possible to find better at a more reasonable price. Most cross country transports are $50 to $100, even at that a proven show producing buck may do you better. He's not considered show prime any more because of his age.

https://www.facebook.com/mshollands/pos ... 5881708297 is the link for the Facebook posting. There are many HL available on the HL groups and ARBA show page.

__________ Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:43 pm __________

There's also the possibility that those are just not good pictures (although its really hard to throw off bone in a picture, either they got it or they don't). Have several people look him over if going to seriously consider him. Consider your does (or prospective does). If you can't get parts does to even out the kids, won't do any good either.
Attachments
hl.jpg
hl.jpg (111.54 KiB) Viewed 277 times
fshl2.jpg
fshl2.jpg (104.12 KiB) Viewed 277 times
Visit the Rabbitry on the web @ http://prismaticrabbitry.wixsite.com/prismatic

Specializing in Mini Rex (tri/bew) and Rex (tri/magpie).
Located near Glenville, West Virginia

The following user would like to thank Prisma for this post
macksmom98

2 years of membership2 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 6,207.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby macksmom98 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:48 pm

I see what you mean about the shoulders, and the width and pattern there. It does look like his feet are positioned farther apart than the picture of the other one, not sure if that would really make any difference tho. Thank you for that insight!
Last edited by macksmom98 on Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Female
BunnyBucks: 965.00

Post Number:#19  Unread postby AprilW » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:01 pm

I am not a Holland Lop person by any stretch of the definition. However, based upon photos and rabbits I have seen locally that perform well at shows, I would NOT spend $250 on this buck. I am friends with someone who does breed HLs and would share the photo with her if you like.

As for the rabbit being dirty and that indicating a filthy rabbitry: some bucks spray urine to mark their territory and some will even rub in it (it looks like this buck does). Most of his fur appears white so if I had to hazard a guess, I would say he is a sprayer. The breeder could have done more to clean him up for photos - especially at the price he's asking.
OlivYew Rabbitry: Breeding and showing purebred American Chinchilla rabbits

Post Number:#20  Unread postby macksmom98 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:05 pm

I agree with this assessment of the picture for sure, I do think this is what happen. If you have time, please do share this with your friend and see what she thinks!

Canada
BunnyBucks: 515.00

Post Number:#21  Unread postby Olimpia » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:04 pm

Sadly I'm not seeing a justification for the price either. :( I don't know Hollands either but I think you could find a decent rabbit for cheaper if you poke around on facebook. :)

The following user would like to thank Olimpia for this post
macksmom98

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Female
BunnyBucks: 965.00

Post Number:#22  Unread postby AprilW » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:01 pm

My friend replied with "Based on that photo, I wouldn't spend $250. He looks like decent breeding quality but more to the tune of like $60-75"
OlivYew Rabbitry: Breeding and showing purebred American Chinchilla rabbits

The following user would like to thank AprilW for this post
macksmom98

Post Number:#23  Unread postby macksmom98 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:30 pm

As for the spraying, does that ever improve with age? Just curious:)

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 10,745.00

Post Number:#24  Unread postby AnnClaire » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:00 pm

Sometimes it because they loooove you so much LOL When its other bucks, well, not really. It is a dominance thing, but sometimes you can change bucks and it can lessen.

I used to house doe/buck/doe/buck and that helped one buck to cut back.
cheers - AnnClaire

The following user would like to thank AnnClaire for this post
macksmom98

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 2,792.00

Post Number:#25  Unread postby SableSteel » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:26 am

My Holland bucks sprayed their whole life. And velveteen lops & mini lops. French & English have sprayed me at shows - this is why I won't do lops.
I wouldn't pay $250 for the buck
I have shown: bruns, hares, petites, dutch, spots, Flemish, harlequin, Havana, Himalayan, Hollands, jersey wooly, mini lop, mini rex, dwarfs, NZW, polish, standard chins, tan, vlops; American & coronet cavies
CZECH FROSTIES ARE NOT CYLINDRICAL THEY ARE JUST COMPACTS WITH A FLAT TOPLINE & EUROPEAN POSE
thesodi.com - the chicken game

The following user would like to thank SableSteel for this post
macksmom98

BunnyBucks: 5.00

Post Number:#26  Unread postby Chancen » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:41 am

He's so cute and looks like he's been covered in chocolate. :D

Previous