Baby found on floor of garage

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maleficent

Reaction score
Ever since my cousins kids got home from their dad's yesterday they have been wild and unruly. That is a rant for another time though, but the point I am trying to make is that it seems like bad things happen to the bunnies when they are home.

This morning I went out to the garage and tried to start my routine, the boys followed me out one calmer then the other but they were both hollering like idiots. Grabbed mom'said bottle to fill it as she had just hopped into the nest and I didn't want to disturb feeding time.

Came back out and put mom's bottle back on the cage then went about checking/counting babies as mom was out of the nest by then. Found only 7/8 babies then internally started freaking out and it didn't help the kids were still screaming with one yelling to just be heard and make himself known. One kid found the missing baby on the floor of the garage still alive and moving though cool to the touch.

This is worrisome as mom's cage is a few feet off the floor and I don't know if it got pulled out of the nest by her this feeding or some earlier feeding. I'm just concerned as it seems weak but not dehydrated.

If it was only out for a short time, it will likely be okay--unless it was injured by the fall. If it was out longer it may have missed a feeding and/or be chilled.

The larger problem is how you are going to deal with your cousin's kids' unruly behaviour. I don't suppose you are in a position to enforce rules. Can you put a lock or latch on the inside of the garage so you can work undisturbed? Can you lock the cages themselves to prevent tampering?

Another way to deal with the problem might be to involve them in the rabbits' care and teach them how to do it well. This would require a lot of patience, but if you're going to be stuck in this situation for a long time, it might pay off. Maybe make helping with the rabbits seem like a reward for good behaviour -- and insist that they do it in turns so you only have to deal with one kid at a time. Something to think about.

The lock or latch on the inside sounds tempting but then I am tempting fate with risking them pounding on the door. One was out there to help me this morning since his brother was being a brat and not letting him play on any of the electronics. This is the one that loves animals like me and I figured it would make the situation seem less unfair to him to help with the babies as he is enamored by them.

This is I don't mind if they help, I actually encourage it as long as they are calm and quiet. This morning me even telling them their hollering was making mom nervous didn't quiet them down.

I popped baby back in with the rest after checki it out and just now pulled it and mom out for a supplement feeding. I may try another feeding later today as it was willing but still a little weak from being cool for who knows how long.

That had to be upsetting to say the least. I'd try letting them help, but still getting locks for the hutches so they can't be messed with when you aren't around. Though is sounds like you have no power over them, you could try just straight up sending them out of the garage and away from the bunnies when they get too unruly

Latest posts

Back