Possible colors?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeaTimeBunnies

Reaction score
So I know my doe it broken black that I know carries Chestnut and REW genes from seeing her siblings at purchase. I don't know what else she could be carrying because she is a mutt that I picked up from my local feed store. The buck is a golden English Spot Charlie that carries black and chocolate genes. What do you think I could get from crossing them? (This is an experimental breeding for colors) also what texture fur dinner you think I could get out of curiosity? It'll still be a few months before I can actually breed them. I'm just looking for what y'all think I could get. I definitely think I'm going to get more broken patterns. Thoughts?

Attachments

• _20170628_095939.JPG
    _20170628_095939.JPG
    192.8 KB · Views: 1,673
  • IMG_20170604_102434.jpg
    IMG_20170604_102434.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 1,673
The doe won't carry chestnut as that is dominant.
If he is charlie and she is broken 50% will be charlie and 50% broken.
I would guess the main color possible is chestnut. Any other colors depend on recessive genes. If the buck also carries REW you could get that, if the doe carries non-extension you could get orange, also called golden. If he carries self you could get black(and/or tort depending on non-extension in doe).
So mainly expect broken and charlie chestnuts and see what else they surprise you with.

You'll get a lot more broken as this is a dominant colour, and you'll probably get mostly chestnuts, others depending on recessives

Their fur will be short and probably "roll back" rather than "flyback"

I know it's been a while, and I haven't yet crossed the two rabbits I was asking about before because I'm waiting until November (or whenever temps cool down and the doe is ready). This time I'm asking a question about mini rex genetics. I'm going to be getting a black and white (possible actually cream instead of white. He's not really photogenic) Harlequin patterned mini rex. I was wondering if I crossed the Harlequin pattern with a broken pattern, could I possibly get tri-colored kits?

Okay thanks. Now what if I we're to cross the Harlequin to a different Harlequin with tri-colored parents? Would I just get Harlequin kits? I'd make sense to me if I did only get Harlequin patterned kits. Also what do you estimate the pattern ratio would be if I crossed a Harlequin with a Tri-colored? I should probably mention that the Harlequin I'm getting has tri-colored parents

tricolor is broken harlequin. broken is dominant, so at least one parents needs to be broken to give tricolor kits. so harlequin x harlequin won't give you tricolors. harlequin x tricolor will give you about 50% harlequin 50% tricolor

Makes sense. Thanks!! <br /><br /> __________ Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:35 pm __________ <br /><br /> Going back to the original pair now. Found faint spots on my Buck's thigh so he is actually a broken pattern. I also have now crossed the two for her first litter. If it goes well I might keep a doeling from the litter for my mutt breeders and the rest go to freeze camp, but since it's her first litter I'm expecting something to go wrong so there won't be any disappointment

Back