Color mix question?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shea

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Hello I've been lurking on here for a bit and I finally have a good question to ask. :)I will be getting my first pair of rabbits here in a few weeks. Its taken me quite sometime to find standard satins in my area but good luck and craigslist have pervailed!

My question is, I had wanted solid colored buns and the breeder does have a couple blacks but mostly breeds siamese. What happens colorwise when you breed a black to a siamese? The buns are still a bit young for accurate sexing so I wont know yet if there is a buck and doe in the color I want, and untill I can get my hands on them I wont know how well there shape is. I am not planning to show and am mostly looking for pet/fur/meat.

The thing about the Siamese colour in the satin breed is they are genetically sallander, so the breeders "blacks" are probably self chinchilla and not true blacks ;)

But the self chin and true black are both dominant to Siamese and you should get more "blacks", other colours are dependant on recessives the parents carry

Thank you! I had been trying to find the answer online but hadn't found anything in laymans terms. I havent gotten beyond the basics in genetics but I knew there was something different with the satins.

Back