Watering

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So since we are starting fresh with our rabbity, I'd love some input on watering the buns. We have always used Lixit wide mouth bottles in the past. They're ok. But we have a constant issue with slimy algae. And , of course, the usual frozen bottles in winter.
What do you guys use? What works and doesn't work for you? TIA!!

I always preferred crocks. In the case of a messy rabbit, I elevated the crock on a block of some type. There are individual crocks that can be attached to the cage wire and they seem like a good choice. I don't know how they'd be in winter.

In winter, I improvised an easy to thaw system with nesting freezer containers attached to the wire. The inner one held the water; the outer one was the holder. I'd go around with a bucket of good warm water, unmould the ice in a flash and refill all in about 10 seconds a cage. Some rabbits fling these about, but I only had one that did it. A metal potato chip clip fixed the problem.

The black rubber bowls for livestock also work well as they are unbreakable.

i use an automatic gravity water system. i did bottles when we first got the rabbits, but i had to refill them 2+ times a day because they constantly leaked and if it was hot of course the rabbits drank more. it took forever every morning just refiling six - now i have 14 breeders PLUS my growouts. crocks got knocked over and pooped in, and i just don't have time nor energy for that.

the water system is really convenient, easy to set up, and the buckets i use hold enough water to last 6 rabbits about three days. a little less when there's kits involved. the only issue i'm having really is one or two the nipples keep leaking, and they are NOT cheap, so i'm having a hard time finding out what is happening so i can prevent it. it may be the hard water where i live, but soaking them in vinegar doesn't seem to help much so i'm not sure what to do.

edit: i also should probably add that i never have to deal with freezing lines. i live in texas, it freezes maybe twice a year. i know they do make heaters for the buckets and insulation for the tubing if you do live somewhere with proper season though.

I use crocks, easy to clean and to refill. Not much work, 4 hutches (2 pairs and a single doe, and my buck)
In winter I put a heating pad (actually it's electro magnets misused as heating pad) under the crocks, which heat with 2-5W, hooked to a old car battery charger. For just around freezing 6V are enough, 12V are good down to -10°C, there are only few days colder than that.

I first tried with upside down bottles in little, heated cans, but the bottles always froze.

I use both bottles and Crocks during the summer when they are drinking a lot. During the winter, I use just the bowls, heavy duty plastic ones that are easy to get the ice out of.

I use a big 3 gallon chicken waterer in summer, and a couple of crocks with hot water 2x a day in winter. But we hit -40 in January/February pretty reliably.

I'm currently working on a 5 gallon pail with a float... hooked to a garden hose in the hay loft... gravity fed... Running tubing to cages with nipples....

a couple of concerns that keep stalling me...
The amount of tubing is insane!! (good thing it is only 0.35 a foot)
the nipples were ordered off ebay - I've already replaced a couple that have broken.
concerned that the float will fail and get water in the loft, then into the rabbitry beneath.

I just need another 100 feet of so of tubing and a few hours and I'll be all done,,,, just in time to dismantle for the winter and go back to crocks...lol :lol:

Latest posts

Back