How old is too old for breeding?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
I have a beautiful, sweet now 4 year old REW doe, she's struggled the last two litters and had 1 DOA in each. I'm thinking it was because she was fat, as I had realized between litters she didn't lose as much weight as they normally do, so I've cut back on her feed quite a bit, she's been way more active and lost a good bit of the fat already, I'm afraid to breed her as I don't want to cause her harm, or lose her to a stuck kit or something. Would it be safe to breed her again now that she's lost the weight? Or should she just be retired for good? I only ask because she's been running to the front of her cage every time I go out which is her usual way of saying she's ready to be bred, she's a great mom and loves babies, but I couldn't live with myself knowing I hurt/killed her over breeding her again. What do you guys think I should do? I'm tempted to get her a large run and a younger friend, would she be able to be like a nanny to kits? Or do you think she'd try to take over the litter?

Its a possibility you will lose her. It is a possibility with every litter. If she's too valuable to you to lose, don't breed her keep as a pet. If you can cope with the potential of loss, breed. Even with not breeding her there are risks. I've kicked myself lately for not trying to breed older stock, losing them, and have no related replacements and can't buy any back.

I can't currently afford to replace stock either, her last litter she was shaking her head from the pain so we gave her willow and it helped her with the pain, although we thought she was having a seizure initially... There's been one very long stretched kit in both of her last two litters, however all before this were very healthy, plump no DOA's. She was overweight as well during her last two litters, so I'm almost wondering... Was it old age? Or obesity?

Old rabbits that are in good condition will do what rabbits do .... multiply like rabbits.

Fat rabbits cant comprehend rabbit math.

I'm in the same boat as Prisma , wishing I had another litter out of one that's gone .... and there just isn't any replacing one that came from 1600 miles away.

Well I have two of her daughter's on site, a 3yr old Chinchilla from her very first litter named Harlem, and a 8 month old named Totoro, I also held back a kit from Totoro named Usagi >.< I'm glad I've held back all of who I have because Butterball the 4 yr old doe, came from the first doe I owned, named Buttons (hence my username "ButtonsPalace") I usually try to hold back at least one baby from all my favorite rabbits while they are pretty young.

Latest posts

Back