Bit me for no reason!!!!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blueeyedrex

Reaction score
Hi, i have a 1 year old mini rex doe that had a litter 2 months ago, she is a little bit of a scidish rabbit. I put her in with her kits who are in a seperate cage for weaning and she was mounting them, i just think she is in heat. But last night i was just petting her and she bit me, it drew blood and was almost a E.R. worthy experiance. She was previosly owned by a breeder this was her first litter she came prego, and she obviously was never handled. :bunnyhop:
im going to sell her to a breeder soon because that is where she belongs, i have 4 kids and i cant have this happening to them. :bunnyhop: :?: :?: :?:

Well, no, I'm not sure that's what's happening.

Seperating rabbits and putting them together again can confuse their social hierachy, that is an unfortunate situation, also, the young ones are at the age where that hierachy starts to be established. Humping ist just one of the more friendly ways to do this. It's a completly normal social thing. Also some nipping, chasing, tufts of fur flying if things aren't foing that smoothly, but I don't see that often with the kits I keep with the doe.
Why seperating, or putting them back together again? You can wean from one day to the next.
I remove the bucks when they come to age (about 10 weeks), and leave the does up to 20 weeks.

With all that uproar and soap opera, she most likely thinks you should be part of the pecking order, or just being an alpha, and nipping is just another way rabbits settle this, humping doesn't work with humans, I think.

She might be high on hormones, but that's normal for unspayed rabbits now and then, but I don't think that's the only issue here. I think it's more the hierachy thing. And I don't think your kids are in grave danger, but well.

If you want a pet that is calm and without hormonal mood swings get her spayed, or at least watch for some weeks how she does with no other rabbits around. It's not a guarabtee that she becomes a friendly pet, some rabbits are skittish.

Some rabbits are better pets than others, but at least mine need some patientce, and a lot of time spent with them to warm up to me. Rabbits are not per se pets like cats or dogs, they often have a very strong opinion about how things should be.
I actually like my does that have an attitude, it makes it so rewarding when they come around, demand pets, my mellow one is... somewhat... boring.

Back