Register

Separation post-spaying

Understand why your rabbits behave the way they do - and what you can do about it.
New Zealand Male
BunnyBucks: 35.00

Separation post-spaying

Post Number:#1  Unread postby BigMac » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:53 pm

Hi all.

I'm still learning rabbit lingo, the female (doe?) is due to be spayed in a few weeks, and I am wondering what is a usual time to keep Mr away from Mrs post-surgery so he doesn't cause an injury?

3 weeks has been mentioned, however this seems a long time to me. And Mr will NOT be impressed. I get it's pretty major surgery on something so small, but is 3 weeks reasonable before unsupervised together-time can be resumed? After all the drama of sucessfully bonding these two, keeping them apart for that long will not go down well.

Or I am projecting human emotions on them, and they'll be all good?

Yes of course, I will ask the vet however to be diplomatic I would prefer some advice from others who have more hands-on experience ..

Thanks

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Austria
BunnyBucks: 3,819.00

Re: Separation post-spaying

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Preitler » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:31 pm

The male is already neutered, right? What's their age?
I've no experience in that field, but I'm somewhat interested in retireing some of of my does from breeding that way.
"Sometimes I stand by the door and look into the darkness, then I am reminded how dearly I cherish my boredom, and what a precious commodity is so much misery"

Site Admin
8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 60,263.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby MaggieJ » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:34 pm

I have no experience with spayed rabbits, but I do suggest that if they are kept with a wire partition between them that they will remain bonded. They'll snuggle and play kissy-face through the wire.

2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 2,680.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby shazza » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:45 pm

i know with boys it's generally two weeks before the remaining sperm dies and they can safely be around females. i'm not sure if there's a rule like that for spays. assuming he's already neutered, you won't need to worry about him mounting her at least, but they will probably want to play together. with cats and dogs generally you want to keep them calm for about a week or until their surgical site heals up. i would keep them separated through a wire like maggie suggested to allow them to interact with one another safely.
mini lop, standard rex, meat mutts
tumblr: @babbits | facebook: @frithyeer.rabbits | ig: @frithyeerfarm

New Zealand Male
BunnyBucks: 35.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby BigMac » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:16 pm

Yep, the boy has been fixed. He's safe as houses.

He's now about 11 months old, and going by his ham-fisted approach to the doe he must be the equivalent of a teenage boy.

It's the 'play together' I'm concerned about. The lounge will be cordoned off with a fence and they'll have contact through that, however I'm still wondering how long she will take to heal to the point he can be his usual moronic, but very endearing self, with her.

I'll see what the vet says. I'm only concerned about the varying opinions around the healing time. Will find out I guess ...

Site Supporter
1 year of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 2,536.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby SixGun » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:09 pm

I've heard 30 days, simply that so she heals enough where he can't re-injure her with any rough housing. And this gives her some time to be adjusted to her new hormone balance as well, so that she doesn't hurt him. She may be a tad crabby for a bit.