Ok, possibly stupid question.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arztwolf

Reaction score
How to you ask a breeder about pet quality rabbits without sounding like an idiot that wants a "cute fwuffy bunny"?

I've never owned a rabbit before and my experience with them comes from reading about them and handling the ones at the feedstore.

I've never interacted with a breeder of anything before, so I'm kind of clueless about this.

Is there some kind of protocol or anything I should know about?

i would just message them and say you are just looking for a pet and was interested in their breed because of (your reasons)! most breeders when someone just wants a pet will point them at the pet quality ones anyway. i wouldn't worry about it too much!

in my experience most rabbit breeders are very friendly and love talking about rabbits and sharing their knowledge. we also love knowing that you've done research, and ask questions!

shazza":qu5vt5l9 said:
i would just message them and say you are just looking for a pet and was interested in their breed because of (your reasons)! most breeders when someone just wants a pet will point them at the pet quality ones anyway. i wouldn't worry about it too much!

in my experience most rabbit breeders are very friendly and love talking about rabbits and sharing their knowledge. we also love knowing that you've done research, and ask questions!

Good, thank you!

From my research into getting a pet quality Sheltie puppy it sounded like you had to prove you were "worthy" of one of their dogs and I was concerned rabbit breeders would be similar.

AprilW":9449alq3 said:
Mostly, rabbit breeders want to know that you're prepared for the commitment. Personally, I prefer emails that give a little more information than just "have a pet rabbit for sale?" (and yes, I have gotten emails like that). Tell the person why you are interested in a certain breed, are there certain characteristics you want (color, gender, age, etc)? Mention that. It isn't unreasonable for the breeder to ask some questions to make sure you're ready. Definitely ask any questions you have.

Is it a red flag if color and sex don't matter to you? Besides health, I'm mostly concerned with temperament.

At what age can you tell a rabbit's general temperament? Skittish vs calm, etc?

absolutely not. in all honesty, someone who is more concerned with colour than health/temperament would be more of a red flag. though in rabbits it's pretty common for someone to ask specifically about a certain colour since show breeders usually are only limited to a few colours they can cross with.

For your first rabbit, you should, in my opinion, get a buck. They are much more friendly and outgoing than does. Himalayans are pretty open with colors (all 4 varieties can be interbred, so the breeders often keep all 4 and do mix them) so even himalayan breeders don't care about variety too much (if you are still interested in getting a himalayan). Almost all baby-baby rabbits are curious and friendly; even my most aggressive rabbits were sweet little things as babies. Then when they reach maturity (4-5 months usually) they get their real personality. Bucks are usually pretty similar to how they were as babies, does not so much.

to add to that, if you decide you want to get him neutered, it's way easier to find someone to neuter a rabbit than to spay one, since the surgery is slightly less invasive. my only issue with bucks, and the reason i neutered my house rabbit, is sometimes they will learn how to spray urine all over everything you love. it's an attracting ladies thing, so neutering usually stops it.

shazza":3s6fcy7d said:
my only issue with bucks, and the reason i neutered my house rabbit, is sometimes they will learn how to spray urine all over everything you love. it's an attracting ladies thing, so neutering usually stops it.

Himalayans tend to not spray as much as other breeds (especially lops) too :lol: None of my himmie bucks spray, but every lop buck I owned did

Latest posts

Back