I'm concerned

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeaTimeBunnies

Reaction score
So I sold a bunny to a kid in my neighborhood, and she comes by to see how everything is and give me updates, and I'll give her pointers on different things she could do with her rabbit. Well this last time she told me that she's convinced her parents to breed rabbits, which is great don't get me wrong, but I think that she only wants to breed to have kits around. I asked her what plans she had for every rabbit that is born. She told me that she was going to sell them. I said "Great, but what about the ones that just can't get a home?". She had no answer to that, so I told her that she needs to figure out a plan of what to do with every rabbit before she decides to start breeding, but I don't think it fully got through to her. I suggested that she could send any unwanted to freezer camp, but she seemed mortified by it. I'm trying to teach her all the basic ins and outs of it and told her to look into or even join us here on RT. I don't think there is anything else I can do, but hope she doesn't get irresponsible with her rabbits. I'm just concerned that she's going to breed even if she doesn't have a plan, because of her age. She's about 8, and really likes being surrounded by cute critters

Being 8 is a tough age. You want to do things, but often lack the ability to completely follow through. It may be time for just a brief conversation with the parents. Say you're there to help, you can get them started, and ask that same question to them, "What are you going to do with the extras?" If the parents are indeed interested, they may have already decided on culling, and if they haven't thought about it, they are the ones that can make the tough decisions.

I would agree it is probably time to chat up the parents. Like SixGun said, it's very possible they've already considered freezer camp and just haven't found a way to break it to their daughter yet. It's also just as possible they have not even visited the idea of not being able to sell all of the kits, and have no back-up plan. It's also possible that the daughter, although I wouldn't expect this quite as much at 8 years old, is exaggerating and Mom and Dad are actually not on board at all with breeding. Basically, there's a lot of possibilities here and finding a casual way to talk with the parents is probably your best bet moving forward.

Just wanted to add something from a different perspective. I have no moral objections to the practice of culling and I understand why most breeders do it, but it's not necessarily her only option. I have never put down a rabbit in my herd unless it was terminally ill or injured so badly that it would suffer too much. I simply plan ahead and breed carefully to avoid the issue of unwanted kits that won't sell. My suggestion for her would be to take her time first to study the market in her area. Find out what breeds sell well and what market she wants to sell to (pet, show, breeding stock, meat rabbits, woolers, etc.) before jumping in. I only allow my rabbits to have as many litters per year as I know I can sell. And I always make sure that I have enough cages, supplies, money, and time to care for the ones that inevitably don't sell for one reason or another. One thing you might want to warn her is that it is very difficult to make money when you're not willing to cull. And not culling means a lot less kits per year, so if that's her main motivation for breeding she may be very disappointed. Also, it's a great idea to choose a breed that is multi-purpose so there's always another market to turn to if she has a bigger litter than expected. (For example, I mainly breed show stock, but I sell the Angoras that aren't good show quality as woolers, and the mini lops that aren't show quality get sold as pets. And my mother-in-law breeds satins so that she can sell to both the pet and meat markets.)

Again, I know why culling is important and I understand why most breeders do it. Just wanted to point out that there is another option, it's just not very practical or profitable. For me, raising rabbits was always more of a hobby than a business so I don't mind the extra expense and time that goes into doing it this way, but she might not feel the same way once she understands everything that goes into it. (Or, more likely, her parents may change their mind once they fully understand what they're letting her get into.)

I would agree that Culling isn't the only option. I also have never culled just for the purpose of too many rabbits, although that option wold be on the table if necessary. But I do have a plan for unwanted kits, and that is to breed smart and not get too many pilled up, so that I can house them for however long they need until they do sell. The biggest problem that I would have with a child taking on rabbit breeding, would be to wonder if they will be prepared for those hard decisions we have to make and the terminally ill cases, or the cases where and entire litter dies. Its hard to get through those things as an adult, and wonder if you made the right decision. I know my own 11 year old daughter could not handle being in charge of that, although she does plenty of daily care and helps/is involved in the decision making. I don't spare her from those things, but we talk about them together so she understands and then I will do clean up or culling if thats necessary. And when you breed rabbits, you know you will eventually see or be faced with some of those hard situations. Just my 2 cents, and I also would not want my daughter to be in charge of advertising or meeting anyone to sell a pet rabbit. We are very careful with our kids and our home, to the point that if we dont know someone we meet them at the local Walmart. I am not going to jeopardize my child's safety.

Thank you all. I suggested culling to her because that is what we do since we don't have the time or money for extras, but I did tell her that there are other options too. The thing I couldn't stress enough to her was to make a plan for all of them. That is truly what concerns me

I agree and think you are right to be concerned. A rabbit breeding business from beginning to end is a lot for an 8 year old to handle. I bet your instincts are correct, and a sit down with the parents would be a good thing.

Yes, definitely talk to the parents. I'm 15 and have my own small(hobby) rabbit breeding business. I'm not trying to make profit(although the extra income is helpful for paying for rabbit food), just have fun and share my love of rabbits with others by selling them a healthy, tame pet. I cull for health reasons, and I have very good business for selling and surplus go to the pet shop(although that hasn't had to happen yet).
However, it is still a big task for me at my age to try and manage the finances, space, surplus rabbits, illness problems, etc. And I don't have to worry about profit or showing. So for an 8 year old, she would definitely need lots of help and guidance. I'd say if she wanted to breed it should be the parent's hobby that she gets to help with and learn from until she's older and responsible enough to take over. I certainly would't let my younger sisters manage breeding. They are great at taking care of their own rabbits, but don't know anything about breeding.

However, if the parents are on board, it would be a great experience for her. Rabbit breeding is a great way to learn about many things. I've learned a lot about responsibility, patience, loss, business, financing, and that there's always more to learn. Plus I've met so many like-minded people and learned a lot from each of them.

Second talking to the parents and getting them further involved. I know here you were talking about terminal culling, but its important to explain as well that the word cull doesn't mean to kill absolutely. I use the word whenever I'm removing from my breeding (just as that's what it is).

Finding out why they've decided to take on breeding is a good idea. Not just the purpose of kits they can't sell, is it for a project is it for fun? What's driving the interest...

Maybe help with some research geared towards that age, if they are wanting to sell pets help them look at what sells well vs doesn't in that area etc. Maybe the parents suggested selling kids and the lil one would get to keep the money from sells to do with as pleased, I know that seems to be a common thing around here.

Latest posts

Back