Dead month old kit !!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blueeyedrex

Reaction score
hi, today i woke up to feed my momma and month old kits (still with her) and found one cold dead stiff , my brother woke up to feed his rabbit witch is above mine and said he didnt see anything out of the blue, so i move them momma into a seperate dog crate and the other two babies in a huge storage tub for the day. I just moved them into a pretty cool garage, but they were in a hot shack, the garage does have some mice, they always are fed and watered, Timothy hay and pellets, and are handeled everyday, yesterday though my little sisters relesed them in a small bathroom to run around. plz help :oops: :cry:

I had that happen once, even when it wasn't hot. It seemed like an isolated incident. I have a feeling yours may have been heat stroke. Did you ever see diarrea or open the kit up?

macksmom98":2lcwnkdf said:
I had that happen once, even when it wasn't hot. It seemed like an isolated incident. I have a feeling yours may have been heat stroke. Did you ever see diarrea or open the kit up?

the garage was really cool in the morning and here in va its only been in the middle 80s and the garage stays pretty cool, i didnt open her because she was my little sisters rabbit and she has spent all day crying so opening up would just be tramatizing

ladysown":2xt9a1ty said:
Sometimes kits die during that transition stage of 3-4 weeks old.
she was born on june 1 so a little over a month, but i decided that today i would seperrate because in case it was or is a virus or something <br /><br /> -- Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:55 pm -- <br /><br />
Blueeyedrex":2xt9a1ty said:
ladysown":2xt9a1ty said:
Sometimes kits die during that transition stage of 3-4 weeks old.
she was born on june 1 so a little over a month, but i decided that today i would seperrate because in case it was or is a virus or something
the other babies are inside and im very closely wathing them

Some babies do die during that stage, as they are very susceptible to mold, stress or anything.
If they were with the mother before and are only 4 weeks, I wouldn't separate them now. They are quite young to wean, and the added stress may cause more problems then staying with the mother. Even if it was a virus, they would already have been exposed anyway and therefore stress will weaken their immune system and generally not help.

Just keep them with mom, reduce stress, give plenty of hay, and keep everything sanitized. Most likely they'll be fine.

LittleFluffyBunnies":3b1agx7b said:
Some babies do die during that stage, as they are very susceptible to mold, stress or anything.
If they were with the mother before and are only 4 weeks, I wouldn't separate them now. They are quite young to wean, and the added stress may cause more problems then staying with the mother. Even if it was a virus, they would already have been exposed anyway and therefore stress will weaken their immune system and generally not help.

Just keep them with mom, reduce stress, give plenty of hay, and keep everything sanitized. Most likely they'll be fine.

they are about six weeks now

Sorry, I misunderstood. If they are six weeks, they can be weaned. Just same advice as before, plenty of hay, reduced stress, and keep everything sanitized. If they are just being weaned some old-fashioned(not quick cooking) oatmeal is a good addition to prevent stomach upsets. Just a small handful in the food.

And this is LittleFluffyBunnies. My sister forgot to log out YET AGAIN. I keep my account logged in usually and I assume it's always still me when I post because she hardly ever posts and promised she logs out when she does. But no, here we are again :|

olafthebunny":17d9wqpu said:
Sorry, I misunderstood. If they are six weeks, they can be weaned. Just same advice as before, plenty of hay, reduced stress, and keep everything sanitized. If they are just being weaned some old-fashioned(not quick cooking) oatmeal is a good addition to prevent stomach upsets. Just a small handful in the food.

And this is LittleFluffyBunnies. My sister forgot to log out YET AGAIN. I keep my account logged in usually and I assume it's always still me when I post because she hardly ever posts and promised she logs out when she :) does :) . But no, here we are again :|

haha i see does and i think of rabbits

Back