Loosing a tooth?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillowTreeJen

Reaction score
Just picked up market rabbits for the FFA kids and when we get them home to sort, I found one has a loose bottom tooth. I cannot tell if it's a new injury or not - I can't tell yet if it is eating and we fed it water by syringe to ensure it was drinking.

Any thoughts from here on what I should do? It moves enough to come up (towards the top teeth) and side to side a bit.

Help is always appreciated - as this is a new one by me!

Attachments

• IMG_8330.JPG
    IMG_8330.JPG
    320.4 KB · Views: 770
I had a doe that somehow managed to injure herself and lost both her bottom teeth. They never grew back. Only time will tell if this will straighten out. My doe had to have a water bottle or her chin area was always soaked when we had water bowls for her. THe water bottle stopped that problem. It looks like your rabbit may had the same problem from the pic? Watch the peg teeth that are behind the upper teeth as if the bottom teeth don't rub on them they grow all wonky and they have to be lined up just right to wear evenly. Good luck.

That maybe an injury from biting/pulling on cage wire. Don't try to move the tooth. If it's going to tighten back in it needs to remain as still as possible. However, given how much movement your describing it is likely the rabbit will lose the tooth. If that happens it will probably be a disqualifier for showing. When you say market rabbits for FFA are you talking about meat pens?

alforddm":u2985jiy said:
That maybe an injury from biting/pulling on cage wire. Don't try to move the tooth. If it's going to tighten back in it needs to remain as still as possible. However, given how much movement your describing it is likely the rabbit will lose the tooth. If that happens it will probably be a disqualifier for showing. When you say market rabbits for FFA are you talking about meat pens?

Yes, this is a meat pen for one of our FFA students. We were bring it home and I am assuming it injured itself on the way. We kept them all in calm, cool conditions since it was a bit of a drive, so I can only assume it either hit its mouth on the corner of the carry cage (where it was hiding) or perhaps it grabbed the wire at some point. The pick up/transfer was at a show and then home, but things happen - I realize that. My thought now, it what to do to keep it healthy and if at all possible, not have it DQ by fair.

THANKFULLY this morning, it has eaten the soaked pellets I put in the cage and was drinking. <br /><br /> -- Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:41 am -- <br /><br /> I am also wondering if I shouldn't trim both of those teeth down - or wait a few weeks to let the injured one settle (if it is going to at all)...

Latest posts

Back