Register

Tell us about yourself and your rabbits!

Site News, Announcements, Posting Guidelines and Introductions.
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 1,966.00

Re: Tell us about yourself and your rabbits!

Post Number:#1126  Unread postby TeaTimeBunnies » Mon May 22, 2017 12:00 am

Hello everyone!! I just started breeding English Spot Rabbits about 2 months ago. I currently have 5 rabbits, all with pedigrees. Two bucks and three does. One of my bucks and one of my doe's are the kits of one doe, and the little doeling kit will be getting sold to a lovely little girl in about 3 weeks. I'm still looking for another buck because my two bucks and two of my does are all half siblings, so I am currently only breeding my one unrelated pair (one of my bucks and the third doe). Here are my rabbits, except for the only breedable buck: (all does accept the little gold kit sitting next to his sister)
Attachments
_20170505_125715.JPG
_20170505_125715.JPG (351.04 KiB) Viewed 591 times
_20170521_171414.JPG
_20170521_171414.JPG (70.17 KiB) Viewed 591 times
_20170505_124937.JPG
_20170505_124937.JPG (143.76 KiB) Viewed 591 times
I breed English spot, Mini Rex, Lop mix, Dwarf mix, And Meat mutts
https://teatimebunnies.wordpress.com/

BunnyBucks: 16.00

Post Number:#1127  Unread postby Bubba » Fri May 26, 2017 6:10 am

Rabbits are addictive! :lol: Since Charcoal has entered our lives we have now acquired 4 more bunnies. We went to visit a farm & now have 2 Mini Rex does called Daisy & Lilly. Both from the same litter & are now 13 weeks old. The following weekend we went to visit 2 rabbitries. One close by where we adopted 9 week old Butterscotch. Then early the next day we packed up the kids & a doe (full grown white blue eyed Holland Lop) that that we were delivering for the first rabbitry to another rabbitry 3 hours away. We purchased Sugar. A 10 week old. Both Butterscotch & Sugar are both Holland Lop does. :bunnyhop:

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 720.00

Post Number:#1128  Unread postby hotzcatz » Fri May 26, 2017 4:14 pm

When you have limited genetics, it can be difficult to keep them from becoming inbred. There's a nice inexpensive program called 'Kintraks' which not only can print out pedigrees for your rabbits, but also can keep track of how inbred they are to each other. I use that function a lot since we're working with limited genetics. I think it's a free download and you can enter up to forty or sixty animals before you have to send in a modest fee to get the unlock code to enter more animals. Once you've paid the fee, your upgrades are free after that. Or, if you have an old computer, you can download and run the program for free. Win 7 and below, I think it is. https://www.kintraks.com/downloads.htm

As for the rabbits here at Hillside Farm Hawaii: http://hillsidefarmhawaii.com/ That's their website and there's a blog that gets updated as things go along: http://hillsidefarmhawaii.com/index.php/blog/

This is the 'Meet the Bunnies' page, I need to update it but that won't happen today: http://hillsidefarmhawaii.com/index.php/meet-the-bunnies/ This is their new website and I'm still learning how to use WordPress.

If you're just starting out, there's free websites at Google Sites where you can make a website for your bunnies if you like. This was the bunnies first website on Google Sites and it still has a lot of information which hasn't moved to the new site yet: https://sites.google.com/site/hillsidefarmhawaii/

This is City Slicker, he's a 'blue' English angora.

Sydney before a haircut

Sydney after a haircut.

We keep the bunnies to produce fiber for Hula Bunny yarn. Sold a shawl made from Hula Bunny yarn yesterday for $300. Woot!
Hula Bunny Yarn from Hillside Farm Hawaii
http://www.hillsidefarmhawaii.com

Canada
BunnyBucks: 5.00

Post Number:#1129  Unread postby huntersacres » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:06 pm

Hello everyone, I'm excited to join the forum! I have been raising rabbits for 2 years this summer and it has grown into my passion. I started with a few mixed breeds to start raising them for meat when we moved to our homestead but have since started showing and have invested in certain breeds that I love. I am located in Alberta, Canada and I breed Giant Chinchillas, Silver Fox, Flemish Giants and Belgian Hares. The Flemish and Belgians are new additions to my rabbitry as of a few weeks ago (Belgians were a surprise gift from a friend who came into Canada and transported a few rabbits for myself and other breeders). They Flemish and Belgians are all juniors, so too young to breed yet, but I'm very excited for what it will bring in the future. I raise my buns in hutches, cages and in a colony setting. I'm hoping that I can learn a lot from the other members here and even share a bit of the knowledge I have picked up along the way. Here are a few pictures of some of my buns:
My Belgian doe, Luna.
Luna again with Polaris in the background.
A couple Giant Chinchilla babies sunbathing.
One of my Giant Chinchilla herd bucks, Hemlock.
A few of my colony ladies.
My oldest Flemish doe, Katie.

Site Admin
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 58,643.00

Post Number:#1130  Unread postby MaggieJ » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:35 pm

Beautiful, happy rabbits, huntersacres!
:bunnyhop: :pancake: :bunnyhop:

Glad to have you with us! :welcome:

The following user would like to thank MaggieJ for this post
huntersacres

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 7,279.00

Post Number:#1131  Unread postby Sagebrush » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:45 pm

Beautiful rabbits! Welcome to the forums. :bunny5: :welcome: :bunny5:

The following user would like to thank Sagebrush for this post
huntersacres

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 2,538.00

Post Number:#1132  Unread postby 2CrazyFools » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:21 pm

Wow, lovely rabbits and such great pictures HuntersAcres! Welcome tot he forum! We're very happy to have you and your herd here with us. :)
Rabbitry ~ ImageImageImage ~ Recipes

The following user would like to thank 2CrazyFools for this post
huntersacres

BunnyBucks: 10.00

Post Number:#1133  Unread postby osagebunny » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:31 pm

Hi! So glad to be joining you all! My husband (of 22 years) and I have a small homestead in the middle of Missouri after several years in town. We are now breeding rabbits again-mixed breeds for the freezer-(a large blue-grey agouti doe, a Californian doe, a chestnut broken doe{that wears the prettiest "mascara"}, and a VM buck. We also have laying hens and ducks. I lurked and read posts for awhile and was delighted to see so many people from different parts of the globe. Thank you for having me.

PS- We are expecting our first litter today or tomorrow. The heat and humidity is terrible so I hope all goes well. It is my blue doe-she has kindled before. :popcorn:

Site Admin
Canada Female

Post Number:#1134  Unread postby MaggieJ » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:11 pm

Sounds like a very nice homestead, osagebunny! Welcome to the forum. :welcome:

And :good-luck: with the kindling. Excessive heat and humidity certainly don't help, but rabbits do seem to adjust to the usual ups and downs of their climate. It's the weird weather patterns that seem to do most damage. Maybe give her a frozen bottle just to moderate things for her?

United States of America
BunnyBucks: 1,017.00

Post Number:#1135  Unread postby Maleficent » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:53 am

Just realized I never posted here, just wanted to say hello! Currently share a home with family, three wonderful bunnies two of which are double mane lion heads one which is a mostly white false dwarf doe with almost calico markings which can be seen in my avatar (expecting a litter from her Early Aug.), a black tort doe, and a dwarf hotot doe with the prettiest mascara and black tipped ears. I also have a myriad of other pets like a 15.5lb solid muscle black cat, sweetest boy ever though he has his bratty moments, a fish tank, and a bi-polar hamster I already posted about.

I have about future goal to own my own my own plot of land, doesn't have to be very big, for me and my small animal family.

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 7,279.00

Post Number:#1136  Unread postby Sagebrush » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:53 am

Welcome to the RT family!!

2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 527.00

Post Number:#1137  Unread postby Dwc77 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:03 pm

Welcome Maleficent! Another one for team Iowa :lol:

United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 65.00

Post Number:#1138  Unread postby DoozyWombat » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:52 pm

Hello, everyone.

I've been reading this forum for a week or so, but just now registered. I live in Maryland but expect to move to Virginia in the next few years. We have no rabbits now, but intend to set up a rabbitry when we move. I'm currently looking at Silver Foxes for both meat and fur, along with Cuy (the large cavies.)

Goals are homesteading, self sufficiency, and permaculture. We are particularly interested in trying to set up an environment as close to entirely self-sufficient as possible, with an eye toward breeding rabbits and cuy in a manner that is healthy in the long-term, manageable in terms of work, and humane.

Since this is still in the middle future, possibilities are wide open. I've been reading a couple of dozen books on rabbit care and keeping on Amazon, but I'm very interested in what the members here think, particularly in terms of a breed that would work well for both meat and fur.

I'm a total noob--no, not even that yet. So thanks for listening.

Site Admin
Canada Female

Post Number:#1139  Unread postby MaggieJ » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:03 pm

Welcome, DoozyWombat. :welcome:

That's quite the username! :lol:

Sounds like you'll enjoy the forums here and find a lot of like-minded members to share ideas with. Have fun!

Site Supporter
2 years of membership2 years of membership
Canada
BunnyBucks: 167.00

Post Number:#1140  Unread postby WVForestGirl » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:44 pm

Hi everyone.
I've been on for a while, mostly lurking, and I just realized that I just launched into posting questions and comments without ever introducing myself.

I am a Canadian expat enjoying a small urban farm in WV. I have a big garden, dogs, chickens, and got into rabbits a little over a year ago. I love to be outside and find myself to be ridiculously happy as I shovel poop on a blustery day.

I raise rabbits for meat, but I value enrichment and try to give them a happy life. I foster relationships with the breeders. I'm supposed to have a breeding trio and two holes for growouts. There are also two 'spare' holes for quarantine or isolation, but of course I contracted rabbitosis and now have two junior does in addition to the trio. They're all mutts from my local farm store. One day I'll probably upgrade to defined lines but right now I'm having fun with the variety. Now that my operation is rolling I thought I'd post some photos.

This is the buck that started it all, isn't he handsome?
IMG_0075.JPG
IMG_0075.JPG (173.71 KiB) Viewed 244 times

IMG_0077.JPG
IMG_0077.JPG (119.37 KiB) Viewed 244 times

One of the does with her second litter. She was on notice because her first litter was only 3 but she did well this time - 8!
IMG_0076.JPG
IMG_0076.JPG (147.82 KiB) Viewed 244 times

The other doe, really getting into the nesting thing.
IMG_0078.JPG
IMG_0078.JPG (152.39 KiB) Viewed 244 times

And my newest junior doe. I'm currently worried she may have come to me pregnant, there's an awful lot of churning in her belly. Then again she eats her own weight in pellets, so active guts? Or growing a litter? I thought her girl parts looked pretty immature when I got her, but what do I know? Anyhow, we will deal with whatever comes.
IMG_0074.JPG
IMG_0074.JPG (166.58 KiB) Viewed 244 times

Well, that got a little long, sorry. Nice to meet y'all and thank you for all the help!

PreviousNext