Would this rabbit carry the blue gene?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
alforddm":oux6pgr1 said:
If you got a blue out of two blacks, then both parents have to carry it.

Would Alleria not carry it because both her parents were blacks? Or can she carry the gene from her grandparents?

If Alleria produced a blue kit then she has to carry it. As the saying goes, "recessives are forever". It's possible for a pedigree that contains only black, to produce recessive colors. The reason being, recessives don't show unless two copies of the mutation "join up" one from each parent. Because of this, they can be carried for a many generations until the right pairing occurs and "bam" you get something unexpected.

alforddm":36vk3b4g said:
If Alleria produced a blue kit then she has to carry it. As the saying goes, "recessives are forever". It's possible for a pedigree that contains only black, to produce recessive colors. The reason being, recessives don't show unless two copies of the mutation "join up" one from each parent. Because of this, they can be carried for a many generations until the right pairing occurs and "bam" you get something unexpected.

Thank you! So, since Alleria did produce a blue baby, that means she carries the blue gene.. and therefore, all of her babies will carry it since the buck also carries it? And will this hold true for every litter of hers thereafter?

Shan_non":2ebcp3wz said:
So, since Alleria did produce a blue baby, that means she carries the blue gene.. and therefore, all of her babies will carry it since the buck also carries it?

The mutation is actually called dilute and out of habit, I will refer to it as dilute. Two copies of the dilute mutation on a black rabbit will produce the blue color. I hope I didn't confuse you further. I caught myself referring to it as dilute several times and wanted to explain that a bit.

No, since the parents are only carriers of dilute, they each have a 50% chance of passing it onto their offspring. So, out of these two parents, 25% will not carry dilute, 50% will carry it and 25% will be blue (two copies of dilute).

Now to get even more confusing, these statistics are just averages and over 100 offspring will come out pretty close to even. It's like flipping a coin. You may get 5 heads in a row (an all blue litter) or 5 tails in a row (a litter where none of them carry dilute) but over 100 kits, you should get pretty close to the percentages listed.

alforddm":1k1vbucl said:
Shan_non":1k1vbucl said:
So, since Alleria did produce a blue baby, that means she carries the blue gene.. and therefore, all of her babies will carry it since the buck also carries it?

The mutation is actually called dilute and out of habit, I will refer to it as dilute. Two copies of the dilute mutation on a black rabbit will produce the blue color. I hope I didn't confuse you further. I caught myself referring to it as dilute several times and wanted to explain that a bit.

No, since the parents are only carriers of dilute, they each have a 50% chance of passing it onto their offspring. So, out of these two parents, 25% will not carry dilute, 50% will carry it and 25% will be blue (two copies of dilute).

Now to get even more confusing, these statistics are just averages and over 100 offspring will come out pretty close to even. It's like flipping a coin. You may get 5 heads in a row (an all blue litter) or 5 tails in a row (a litter where none of them carry dilute) but over 100 kits, you should get pretty close to the percentages listed.

Wow! Thanks for all of the information! I appreciate it.

I have a litter of mini rex right now, both parents are black. Of the 5 kits that were born, 1 is black and the rest had been blue. I had one peanut that passed on day 4.

Back