Breeding in the summer

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know from raising rabbits down here in Florida, I breed year round. If a buck cant do the job in the heat, I try another buck.

But I also keep them all in the deepest shade I can find so that might be the difference between heat sterile and fertile?

Having all new buns to start with after the move, I am interested to see if Thunder can do the job. Two of the girls lifted for him so we shall see. Three and a half weeks and counting.

My last litter was born on July 5th, and although my rabbits are in climate controlled housing (It's in the 100s every day out of doors) I've noticed smaller litters in the last few. Winter averaging 9 per litter, now I'm averaging 6 over the summer. But I'm not complaining.

Sixgun, have you noticed that spring/summer kits hit sexual maturity earlier than autumn/winter kits?

My last herd showed that trend very strongly. The difference could be as much at 4 to 12 weeks sooner from teh first group.

GBov":1i6o7v0p said:
Sixgun, have you noticed that spring/summer kits hit sexual maturity earlier than autumn/winter kits?

My last herd showed that trend very strongly. The difference could be as much at 4 to 12 weeks sooner from teh first group.

You know, now that you mention it, yes, I had to separate grow outs earlier than I ever have before. The boys were downright nasty with each other. I'd never had an issue with 3 or 4 months old being together, but I did with the litter from late April.

SixGun":2x3wqdy2 said:
GBov":2x3wqdy2 said:

You know, now that you mention it, yes, I had to separate grow outs earlier than I ever have before. The boys were downright nasty with each other. I'd never had an issue with 3 or 4 months old being together, but I did with the litter from late April.

Yep, that's what happened to me. It got to the point that I would look for fur under the cages every morning to tell me when to move the fryers out rather than what week it was.

GBov":36qdp9zz said:
SixGun":36qdp9zz said:
GBov":36qdp9zz said:

Yep, that's what happened to me. It got to the point that I would look for fur under the cages every morning to tell me when to move the fryers out rather than what week it was.

It happened to you too? That's crazy! So, I wonder if earlier hormones means a better dress out ratio or worse. Or no effect. These guys seemed to gain better than some previous litters, although..... thats completely anecdotal, as I don't have weights to prove it.

SixGun":7bp314nt said:
GBov":7bp314nt said:
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who doesn't weigh their dress outs. :oops: :lol:

I really should. I mean... its just one little step, that I so often don't do.

One little step added to the dozen or three little steps with butchering is some times a step too far! :lol: But as I am now doing a Mini Rex meat project, I will MAKE myself do that last step.

I have added fleshing each hide on butcher day so trying to remember the weighing bit is hard for my brain :lol: but my best intentions shall be tested in about 15 weeks. Counting kids not yet kindled, of course. :D

SixGun":1mw8jgz7 said:
Fleshing out the hides too? Oh my. Ya, you won't catch me there. I'm a wrap and into the freezer kinda person.

Which is how I ended up with almost 200 frozen hides to move, and move again, and again. It took me almost 6 months of working on them every two days. Flesh, dry and repeat.

I swore to never do that to myself again! :roll:

GBov":7jlq789k said:
SixGun":7jlq789k said:
Fleshing out the hides too? Oh my. Ya, you won't catch me there. I'm a wrap and into the freezer kinda person.

Which is how I ended up with almost 200 frozen hides to move, and move again, and again. It took me almost 6 months of working on them every two days. Flesh, dry and repeat.

I swore to never do that to myself again! :roll:

And I don't know why I'm saving them all up to do together. I guess I figure it would save time, but if they continue to squeeze out space in my freezer, then, who cares about the saved time.

200?? Really?? LOL! I get this mental picture of a video game I play "The Long Dark" where I lay out all the hides to dry... That is a lot of hides.

Back