How Young Is Too Young?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Dutchess

Reaction score
I have a 2 month old Jersey Wooly doe I'm very excited to breed. At first, I wasn't in a hurry; I was planning on breeding her around late September so she'd be around 6 months. Now, I've found a way for me to go to convention, which starts October 1st. Her birthday is April 28th, so she'd only be 3 months this month and if I wanted 2 month old juniors by convention, I'd have to breed July 2nd... which has already come and gone. Not to mention, she's too young! :lol: So obviously, no convention babies. But this brings me to my question: How young is too young to breed? I've never bred a young Jersey Wooly; I started out with a 3 year old proven doe. I've bred a 5 1/2 month old Mini Lop before with no problems, but Woolies are smaller than Mini Lops; does that affect the maturation rate?
Thanks!
-Duchess. :pancake:

I'm pretty sure it around 6 months or 80% of there potential full grown weight.

good things come to those who wait. You do yourself and your special rabbit no favors by breeding so early. Complications mount in breeding so young. There will be other conventions.

Thanks everyone!
Just to be clear, I have absolutely no intentions of ever breeding any rabbit under 5 months. I will likely wait longer and breed at 6 months, regardless of whether or not the rabbit is ready at 5. When I was mentioning the desire to breed for convention, it was pretty much just rambling. :lol: I just wanted to be clear on the general rule of 6 months, since I was unsure if it was the same for both Mini Lops and Jersey Woolies.
Looks like I'm breeding at 6 months! :D
And once again, thanks for the advice.

I use to own 5 pedigreed Jersey Woolies. Horribly allergic. :( So I sold mine.

I've bred as young as 5 months old (she had her kit at 6 months old) and did fine. She only had 1 kit though and did not have her in the nest box, she took all the hay out and pulled a ton of fur in the corner. Because she only had one baby, I rebred her when her daughter was 3 weeks old. Baby is now nearing 7 weeks old and mom is due tomorrow. :) Mom is a Mini Lop x Silver Fox cross.

Latest posts

Back