Should I cull? EDIT: I did it. My first time.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleFluffyBunnies

Reaction score
So I have a young kit who just isn't quite right. At birth there was something off but I attributed it to just being a crazy kit. She just rolled around, as in literally rolling over, all the time. A few days later, we started wondering because there was no change. She was growing and fat but couldn't seem to move right. She never tried to crawl, just rolls around and goes upside down. Yesterday she started holding her head up in the air all the time, and seemed a bit skinnier than usual. She doesn't just sit there or crawl like the rest of the litter, just wobbles and rolls around, and her head is always going side to side. Today(day 9) I found her out of the nest, cold to the touch, despite it being warm outside. We took her inside and warmed her up, but she just seems floppy and lethargic. She also has a bit of a sunken appearance.

Any ideas what could be the cause? Like I said, she was just not quite right since birth, so I assume it's a congenital problem. Maybe she just didn't develop right. The main question is, should I cull her now, or give her a bit more time? I don't want her to suffer, but I don't want to make the wrong decision. I had decided on culling but it would be my first time and I want to be sure it's the right thing.

Also, if I need to cull, what is the easiest, most humane, and least gory method? She is 9 days old, so still small.

Ok so I did it. I decided to do cervical dislocation because it seemed least prone to error and quickest for the rabbit. I was going to use a thick, blunt nail to hold her neck down, kind of like a broomstick, but she was too wriggly. SO I tried by hand, but it didn't work. She squealed and went unconscious but wasn't dead. I was then able to use the nail and finish the job properly. I honestly feel so terrible I messed up. I didn't really know how to work with something so small, let alone me never having dispatched an animal before. But at least I was able to fix it quickly. I know it was the right thing to do, but it was terrible. I cried so hard. At least I know what to do next time, if there is a next time.
That was the hardest thing I've ever done. But I guess as a hopeful future veterinarian, I have found out that if I know it is absolutely the best thing for the animal, I can do it.

That must have been so hard for you, LFB. But you're made of good stuff . . . and you did what needed to be done.

If the kit went unconscious quickly, you did not mess up. From that point on, it wasn't suffering and you finished the job quickly.

It's okay to cry; it's always sad and upsetting to have to euthanize an animal. You showed fortitude and compassion. . . and my hat's off to you. :cowboy: (((HUGS)))

Latest posts

Back