Register

Breed suggestions

Discussion of all aspects of rabbits as meat animals. If this subject is offensive to you, please do not visit.
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 7,390.00

Re: Breed suggestions

Post Number:#16  Unread postby Sagebrush » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:55 pm

Sorry to hear that Tea Time. Maybe next year it will be better. Most counties will often have a winter (or Harvest) fair between October and November. Maybe you will find some then.

DH and I decided to go with Mini Rex as a source of meat in our home since for the most part it is just him and I. We of course have the two house bunnies Tiny and Twitch. Our black doe (that we purchased already bred), I just picked up our other little rex doe (broken Blue Otter) and we are waiting for our blue buck to grow up. I am used to the smaller size since I had raised Dutch for meat before. This time I get to play with soft pelts though :lol:.

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 14,845.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby GBov » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:40 pm

I am sorry you wont get to go to the fair Tea Time but I am really glad you started this thread, its made me totally rethink our short term goals so am picking up cages tomorrow. Thanks! :D

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 2,830.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby TeaTimeBunnies » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:40 pm

GBov wrote:I am sorry you wont get to go to the fair Tea Time but I am really glad you started this thread, its made me totally rethink our short term goals so am picking up cages tomorrow. Thanks! :D
I'm glad that this thread is helping more than just me

__________ Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:40 pm __________

Okay, ​so I found a mutt doe I really like. I am pretty sure she has NZ in her, but I'm not sure what else. I LOVE the coat texture though so I'm going to experiment, but if she doesn't get us what we are hoping for in her kits then she will be a house bunny. We love her personality and we think the fluffiness is just way too cute (plus we have kinda been longing for a house bunny to cuddle with). She has a black broken pattern, and based on her siblings I know she also carries Chestnut color in her genes
Attachments
_20170625_123021.JPG
_20170625_123021.JPG (96.68 KiB) Viewed 1278 times
I breed English spot, Mini Rex, Lop mix, Dwarf mix, And Meat mutts
https://teatimebunnies.wordpress.com/

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 14,845.00

Post Number:#19  Unread postby GBov » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:13 pm

Lovely! Good start. :D

Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 40.00

Post Number:#20  Unread postby dsneed1002 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:29 am

Consider a rare breed. There are many kinds that are forgotten despite many good aspects. I really like my American Blues and they do well even in Houston area heat. It may take a little more doing to get them, but I think it is good to help keep a breed going and all you need to do is sell a few or give a few away from time to time.

Previous