First time breeding

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maleficent

Reaction score
I have had pet rabbits for a few years now and it was just within the last year or two when I befriended two breeders (one local and one across the country) the local one is where I got my girl that is expecting (or should be expecting) her first litter Aug. 3rd when she was only 2 months old. The buck she was bred to was a mini rex and she is a hefty 7lb false dwarf lion head (we checked her out, its not fat its all muscle) and the reason for the pairing is because I was helping the breeder get started on a goal she wanted involving rex furred rabbits with double manes.

I was just wondering if it would be normal for a doe that is usually grouchy to turn into the most mellow rabbit ever after being bred. Talking to the breeder apparently her mother was pretty much the same way. Anyway I'm looking for basic advance involving what to expect and if it would be ok to keep her housed with the other two females she had befriended for a short while. I need to purchase more bedding, dig out a separate cage for her and clean it before putting her in, and figure out where to house her before I separate her out.

The breeder and I already have an agreement that she will get POL out of the boys if she sees one she really likes and I already have other people eager to take some of the babies if her pregnancy is successful. I went to school with their niece and they have had rabbits before.

Your sentence is a bit confusing. Are you saying that the doe was only two months old when she was bred? If so, that's awfully young. I would never breed a rabbit before four months, although I understand dwarf breeds may mature faster than standards.

As for her moods, it can go either way under the influence of hormones.

Good luck! I hope the breeding is successful and you have a big healthy litter. I too hope you didn't breed her at two months, but I have my doubt that she even could or would at that age, so I have some faith lol.

As for moods, yup, does can be that way. I had a himmie doe that would be downright vicious towards me unless she was bred or currently raising a litter. It worked out fine, she was my best uh, 'working' doe. It's all in the hormones!

MaggieJ":3fdmd5la said:
Your sentence is a bit confusing. Are you saying that the doe was only two months old when she was bred? If so, that's awfully young. I would never breed a rabbit before four months, although I understand dwarf breeds may mature faster than standards.

As for her moods, it can go either way under the influence of hormones.

Ah sorry! I should have phrased that better! No I got her at about 2 months over a year ago, she is actually just over a year now. :)

I wish I had a video of her before she was bred, she was getting downright flustered with the buck! He was a tad inexperienced but had three successful litters under his belt and won best in his class. She would headbutt him, nip him, and run circles around him. The breeder said he wasn't used to such forward does as all he had until that point were mellow ones. Maleficent (the one that is bred) is actually the girl in my avatar. She was definitely a willing party for the breeding.

Edit:

I got to looking at our weather and in my area its in the low 80's, I have the girls living in the garage ever since the day we had a run in with some animal that attempted to break into their hutch. They have a two floor hutch and currently only use the top half for a bathroom area and the lower half where it opens up to a cement floor as their main hang out as the cement is cooler. I got concerned that the heat could have made her miscarry or something already. I have been supplying ample water using two different water bottles and just now placed a fan in there to circulate the air while waiting for the bottles in the freezer to freeze over. I'm trying to help beat the heat.

Rabbits often do turn friendlier after breeding, but the gestation period is only 31 days. I'd try to separate her from the other rabbits before she gives birth.

Latest posts

Back