Checking in after another hiatus...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karebru

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
These are the discouraging months, raising rabbits in Florida. Too hot to breed... The buns are miserable from the heat... Yard work kicks in to high gear, and cleaning cages becomes a real chore. Meanwhile, the boat wants to be taken out.

The other day, two dogs that I've never seen before got in through the open door and terrorized my herd. They couldn't get at the rabbits sealed in their cages, but before it was over, my favorite buck was paralyzed from the chest down. :(

I think about throwing in the towel, but I got out there and cleaned the cages this afternoon and realized, I've got too much in to it to just give up.
I'm overdue on nail trimming and butchering. Once I get caught up I'll probably feel better. :oops: :roll: ;)

Glad to see you back, Karebru!

I think there is a tough season just about anywhere one lives. Here it is winter, of course: too cold to breed unless you take extra precautions, snow everywhere, nothing growing and those dratted frozen water crocks or bottles. :roll:

But those dogs! :grit: That would make me really mad! :evil: :evil: :evil: I'm so sorry about your buck! :cry: Will you be able to take precautions to keep the dogs out?

But yes, getting caught up on the housekeeping chores and planning for the fall are probably the best things you can do right now. Hang in there!

Thanks, Maggie.
One dog ran away as soon as I got there. The other one... I was beating it with a broomstick and it just gave me this blank, "What?" look. It kept weaving in and out under the cages before I finally got ahold of it. (Getting bit was in the back of my mind.)
I pulled it out on to the driveway, let it go, hit it again, and it went right back in the garage. The next time, I dragged it by the neck, about 100 ft. away with just it's rear nails scraping the ground, released it, and kicked it as hard as I could. It didn't really react at all. Just finally decided to go see where it's buddy had gone off to.
It was young... some kind of pit-mix.
I'm a serious... SERIOUS dog person. I don't treat them like that, but I've never seen such a stupid, dense animal.
Just this blank, "What?" look in it's eyes.

I doubt I'll see them again. Probably just someone visiting the neighbor who had his dogs with him.

That dog sounds too stupid to live . . . and I don't think in your shoes I'd have let it. I have no tolerance for free-running dogs that do damage. But then, I admit, I'm not really a dog person. I've known a few great dogs over the years, but I have more of an affinity for cats, so perhaps that makes me less forgiving of canine misbehaviour.

No one lets their dogs run here. We've been here over fifteen years and in that time I have seen four dogs running loose. One pair escaped twice from the farm up the road but they minded their own business and just went for a trot along the road. One came across the road from a visitor to a neighbour, but I hollered at it and it ran back. One was with people who stopped at our yard sale. It slipped its collar and went charging after our poultry, but fortunately the owners caught it before it did any damage. All the same, I was furious. :evil:

One could do worse than the neighbors I mentioned. We're in a wooded, semi-rural area. He lets his dogs run free, but I'm convinced that his dog's established territory provides a buffer between us and any number of wild predators. Coyotes, black bears, bob cats, owls etc.
We're inside the dome, so to speak.
I know my chickens appreciate it... from their side of the fence.

Back