Meat mom and house bunny?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeaTimeBunnies

Reaction score
Im not totally sure we're to post this, but since the rabbit in question was purchased for meat purposes I figured here would be good. So I have a little mutt doeling who is staying inside while we finish renovations on our quarantine hutch. Well my fiance fell in love with her and is trying to convince me to let her stay inside as a house bunny. To make this a bit worse my mom stopped by, and now she too is trying to convince me to let her stay inside and use her room (my mom live pretty close and comes by often so she has her own room for her visits. It also seconds as our guest room) to set a permanent bunny pen up in. She's kinda started on litter training because so far I told my fiance that she could at least be an indoor/outdoor (comes inside when we are home, but stays outside during the night and when we are away) bunny if she gets litter trained. My problem is that I too kinda want her as a house bunny, but we got her for the purpose of meat babies. I reminded my fiance that was her purpose and he brought up letting her have her litters inside, to which I tried to remind him how messy rabbit kits are, but he didn't seem to care about their mess. Does anyone have any suggestions on what we could do?

The funny part is when we got her he was swearing up and down that we were going to finish that hutch and she was going to move outside within a day or two.....he then held her, git groomed by her, and now he has been delaying our progress on the hutch for over a week while trying to get me to let her stay inside. *Sigh* I suppose this is what I get for letting him touch her. We have had bunnies stay in the house in occasion before, but he never bothered with them so he didn't really care about the bunny and just helped me with working on there hutch(es). This inst going to be the first time her picture has been on a post, so some might recognize her from other posts I've done. But here she is, the infamous Fable

Attachments

• _20170627_130954.JPG
    _20170627_130954.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 3,703
Sounds like my husband :roll: . Before we got the rabbits he was very unemotional about it. When we figured out the doe we got was actually a buck he was so attached that we (he) decided not to return him. Now we have two does and to bucks....

She is a cutie though!

I only started with rabbit raising when I brought home two spare rabbits from 4H to butcher. My then husband got between me and the rabbits, spread his arms wide to protect them and said "You cant kill THESE rabbits, these are nice rabbits!"

And oh so many years later, I still have rabbits but not a husband.

It was the perfect swap! :lol: :twisted:

If the mess doesnt bother you, have the kits inside for 5 weeks and then move them outside. House rabbits are fun.

We talked it over yesterday. She gets to stay inside and still have babies inside so long as he helps me clean up after them. It made him SO happy :lol:

I'm glad you guys found a solution.
I wonder if he will feel the same way when he has to help clean...

I suppose we'll find out :lol:. So a bit off topic I suppose, but doese anyone have any suggestions on how to build an indoor hutch? All the bunny cages sold in stores around me are for dwarf breeds, and I'm pretty sure she is going to grow to be at least a medium size if not larger

This one might be helpful in getting an idea for her. I don't have a pinterest account but I had it saved from a google search I did when I was looking to build Tiny a new indoor hutch. This one appears to be made from wood and possibly plexi-glass. Could try something else though that might work better for your situation.
8ab0cd7750eeeb300236b6165b625e6e--rabbit-hutch-indoor-indoor-rabbit-house.jpg

Wow! That looks nice. Id probably use the same wire I use for my outdoor hutches instead of plexiglass. Gives more air flow

Same thing I was figuring lol. Though what I ended up making was far different. Due to materials I had on hand and of course time lol. I had an extra nightstand and some cabinet backs that I used to keep shavings in the run area. Though the nightstand is part hide and where his litter box happens to be. Lid is so that the little escape artist doesn't climb out while everyone is sleeping.
Tiny's House.jpgT.H. open lid.jpg
View attachment 1

Our quarantine inside cage is an XL dog kennel floor, few pieces of scrap wood and hard ware cloth. It dosnt look the best but it works.

I've thought about doing this when I get a Flemish Doe. Since they're so large, I want her for a house bunny, but I'll want to breed her. I'm thinking I'll have a hutch for her, so she can have the babies, then let her stay a house bun for the most part. We crate all of our dogs when we aren't home, so she'll be the same. I think it can be done!

Well obviously it's been a while. The doeling is now a doe and expecting her first litter in about a week and a half (she's a momzilla right now). We came up with a two story hutch design, and as of right now recently got the lower half livable, and we are putting the second story on hold while we work on her nest box :D . She's grown to be quite a big girl, but is still a very sweet bunny when she's not pregnant. I got a nice scar now that I have learned her pregnancy behavior :x . Anyway here is the hutch. My drop pans ate actually tinfoil turkey pans covered in trash bags so that I only have to slide the pans out, take the trash bag off, and throw it away. Really simple and cheap

Attachments

• IMG_20170921_131010.jpg
    IMG_20170921_131010.jpg
    426.6 KB · Views: 3,517
  • IMG_20170921_131034.jpg
    IMG_20170921_131034.jpg
    345.1 KB · Views: 3,517
Preitler":3rclvlw5 said:
Hi,

I would add baby saver wire around the lower part of the cage, by the looks of it this wire will not stop kits for several weeks. :)

Yeah, we have it on the back wall, but it is also on the list

__________ Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:25 pm __________

Here is her pregnancy belly. She is roughly 3 weeks pregnant

Attachments

• IMG_20170921_152944.jpg
    IMG_20170921_152944.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 680
  • IMG_20170921_153042.jpg
    IMG_20170921_153042.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 680
Back