How to identify dwarfism in mixed breed rabbits?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most mixed breed rabbits don't have dwarfism. Usually, even if they are a cross of a dwarf breed rabbit, the 'dwarf breed' parent was a false dwarf of its breed, which are more common in pet lines.

But if you have reason to believe that it could have dwarfism, the best indicator, I've found, are the ears. Dwarf breed ears are noticeably shorter and thicker than their siblings would be, or any non-dwarf mutt. Take mini rex: those big, normal looking ears that some have (ears longer than the head and sparsely furred, like for example, in this picture: https://www.pets4homes.co.uk/images/cla ... d8b04e.JPG ) indicate non-dwarfs, while the shorter mini rex ears (like in this picture: http://www.johnnyhaussener.com/uploads/ ... 1_orig.jpg) indicate dwarfism. The ears, imo are the most reliable way to tell, but (especially if its crossed with a bulldog head breed, like netherlands or hollands) longer, thicker fur, especially on the head can be a good indicator of dwarfism too. Such that they tend to keep their 'baby fluff' that makes their head look big into adulthood.

Of course, the best indicator that mixed breed is dwarfed is if it throws a baby peanut ;)

That is helpful thank you.

This is the rabbit that has gotten me wondering. I culled him because at 6 months he was smaller than I like, but I did use him for a couple of breeding first. His ears were quite short. I have one daughter of his that I had considered keeping, but she is showing some of the same characteristics so I'm on the fence.

The thing is, this bucks dam weighs over 8lbs. His granddam as well although she did have a mini-rex in her pedigree. So, either he was just an odd rabbit with smallish ears or his dam is a large dwarf and I need to be very careful in evaluating any offspring of hers I plan on keeping....

Attachments

• IMG_20170323_184904.jpg
    IMG_20170323_184904.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 1,006

Latest posts

Back