Tooth root abscess

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harelady

Reaction score
I been a bit nervous to post this but I think this place is safe enough. The French Angora I thought had snuffles instead actually has a tooth root abscess that connects to his sinuses. It's a huge abscess that I finally found three weeks ago. I months ago made him a pet so I took him to two different vets. One of which did a head X-ray and we found out this rabbit at some point broke a molar which caused it to die. Causing a tooth root abscess. Despite this the rabbit is eating fine and seems happy. Since the vet is willing to discount surgery I decided to go ahead and have two back teeth removed. Which will cause the rabbit to need lifetime having back teeth ground down. But not ready to give up on him.

Not sure if i am being selfish by putting him thru this. But he has not let me know that he is suffering badly. At this point I have two options treat or euthanize. Not doing anything is just cruel. I have chosen to treat but it may become too much for him and I will have to reevaluate later.

Rabbits wont show you they are in pain very often. It is a tough call, I am not telling you what to do because thats a choice only you can make, but simply saying that its possible hes in pain and not showing it. Eating and drinking normal are good signs that point to necessary and normal behaviors, so thats a positive. Hope things get better for you both!

Latest posts

Back