Steel

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunrise

Reaction score
Question about steel, can a non-extension rabbit carry steel, such as red, tort or pearl? Would it be ese or ees? I think that agout can't hide it, correct? Cause it would show as steel. Only self can hide steel or can anything hide it?

Steel is dominant so no, a non-extension rabbit cannot hide it

Often steel paired with harlequin "ESej" or non-extension "ESe" will look self even if they are agouti based

Steel is dominant, so red, torts or any non extension can't hide it. Since it is dominant, it is shown with a capital E (so Es or ES: technically the s would be super-scripted, so I write it with a small s because imo it looks more like that.)
Agoutis most often show steel when it's EsE. If the steel is EsEs they almost never show it (this case called supersteel), and if its Ese or Esej they sometimes show steeling, and sometimes not (this case called hidden steels). So agouti can hide steel, or rather, steel is one of the few things that can hide agouti. Selfs always hide steel, it can't express on self; and on otters, you only see the ticking in the areas that would be fawn or white on the otter coat.

Thank you, steel is finally starting to make sense to me! <br /><br /> __________ Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:48 am __________ <br /><br /> So if I have an agouti that has all the proper agouti markings, mom definitely had steel, Ese, would he be able to carry that steel gene but not express it? Would that be supersteel?

No, if he had it he would look steel so he must have gotten her non-extension allele and is "Es e" :oops: "E e" :)

A super steel has two steel alleles "EsEs" and often are very dark and some can pass as selfs

Latest posts

Back