Register

Giant breed cages

Advice on purchasing or constructing cages and hutches for your rabbitry.
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 245.00

Giant breed cages

Post Number:#1  Unread postby MeadowView » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:28 pm

I'm looking at getting some checkered giants within the next year or so and I'm starting to do the preparation and research for them. I'm having a hard time finding cages from any of the big cage producers that are big enough. I'm hoping for two ft by four ft and at least two ft high ceilings but the largest I can find are 2x3.

Any giant breeders have any tips for me about where to find cages for these guys? I don't use traditional hutches, I prefer all wire with resting mats. I can't seem to find any options short of building them myself.

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Female
BunnyBucks: 965.00

Re: Giant breed cages

Post Number:#2  Unread postby AprilW » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:25 pm

Contact a cage supplier and ask if they will custom make a set of cages for you. It would probably be cheaper to build the cages yourself.
OlivYew Rabbitry: Breeding and showing purebred American Chinchilla rabbits

United States of America

Post Number:#3  Unread postby MeadowView » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:21 pm

I just really super don't wanna mess with cage building. I am many things, and handy is not one of them.

Do y'all think 36x24x18 is enough for checkereds with regular run time and larger cages for litters? I already have a few of those from my old champagnes, and the ARBA cage size guidelines seem to say that's plenty of room. I could just get another stacker from KW and have plenty of holes for them to start as a side project.

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 3,206.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby SableSteel » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:40 pm

18" isn't tall enough for a checkered giant. That cage size is pretty small for one too. They don't do was well on wire flooring, you'll probably have to make your cage to fit one.
I have shown: bruns, hares, petites, dutch, spots, Flemish, harlequin, Havana, Himalayan, Hollands, jersey wooly, mini lop, mini rex, dwarfs, NZW, polish, standard chins, tan, vlops; American & coronet cavies

thesodi.com - the chicken game

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 5,385.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby Ramjet » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:59 am

Hindsight is always 20/20 but looking back its still a bit fuzzy.

https://www.facebook.com/texrex.rabbits

TexRexRabbitry@Hotmail.com

1 year of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 3,598.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby SarniaTricia » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:23 am

Meadow
I would call the cage suppliers closest to you and ask if they could build to your specifications.
I know our local cage supplier is happy to accommodate non-standard building sizes
Breeding Magpie Harlequin Rabbits for Showing, Meat and Pelts...
Working towards a farm to raise animals with respect and care.
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

https://www.facebook.com/BABRabbits/
https://www.facebook.com/Growing-Urban- ... 749253819/
https://www.facebook.com/AmherstburgFarmersMarket/

2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 6,307.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby macksmom98 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:06 am

We have used the wabbitat cages purchased from chewy.com, its around $50 for the large one. It does have a wire bottom but with a floor mat I think they would be ok. We use the smaller version for their travel cages (for our Giant Chins-not full grown yet but at intermediate weight now). Something to look into anyway. Our permanent cages are made of wood, and they are 4ft by 3 ft. Not sure if that is sufficiant but they seem to do ok and we do excercise them regularly.

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 20,677.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby Marinea » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:13 pm

Bass Equipment also makes 48"x30" cages, but they are 18" tall. I second the idea of calling around and asking for custom builds. Bass has always worked with me on changes.
Bird House Farm
Organic heirloom farming on a small scale

United States of America

Post Number:#9  Unread postby MeadowView » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:35 pm

Thanks all, I think I have a gameplan.

I can't believe I missed the 48 x 30 cages on KW. I feel like a dummy, I thought I looked everywhere! Still, after a bit more research I think it would be best to have those 24in ceilings. They're not short rabbits!

I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and buy a roll of wire from amazon. It'll be cheaper than having custom cages built and it'll be good for me to learn. I have a plan in mind, at this point it's just a matter of execution, so we'll see. I think I wanna do double decker flush clean style cages, but I want to brace the floors so there's support for that kind of weight. We had a 6x3x3 cage built for one of my flemish giants ages ago, and I'm looking back on that design for inspiration. Should work alright. I'll make sure to update y'all once I get them built.

It'll be while, though, so no one should hold their breath. ;)

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 3,206.00

Post Number:#10  Unread postby SableSteel » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:54 pm

CG have smaller feet holding up the same body weight compared to other giant breeds. They really do better on solid bottoms, from what I've seen
I have shown: bruns, hares, petites, dutch, spots, Flemish, harlequin, Havana, Himalayan, Hollands, jersey wooly, mini lop, mini rex, dwarfs, NZW, polish, standard chins, tan, vlops; American & coronet cavies

thesodi.com - the chicken game

Female
BunnyBucks: 965.00

Post Number:#11  Unread postby AprilW » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:18 pm

Building cages is pretty easy. My dad built my first cages many years ago when I got started as a youth. He taught me and I started a small side business selling cages. I only bought my newer ones due to time and convenience. Here are some ideas and instructions if they might help you:

http://www.angelfire.com/mi4/bunnyrun/Rabbitry.html

http://www.thenaturetrail.com/rabbit-eq ... ild-plans/
OlivYew Rabbitry: Breeding and showing purebred American Chinchilla rabbits

United States of America

Post Number:#12  Unread postby MeadowView » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:40 pm

SableSteel wrote:CG have smaller feet holding up the same body weight compared to other giant breeds. They really do better on solid bottoms, from what I've seen

What I've done for every full-arched/large/sensitive footed rabbit I've owned is kind of a half and half set-up, with a thin untreated wood board taking half the floor space, which has worked pretty well in the past. Usually they still go through the wire and when they don't it's easily swept off the board. I'm gonna try this, and if I have problems I'll fix it. Ain't nothing that can't be adjusted as needed.

I work 40 hrs a week and run a business on the side, I just don't have time to completely clean a cage (let alone several) every day, and when we have completely solid bottoms that's what ends up happening. I keep things pretty clean, and I've never been able to keep solid bottom cages clean enough to prevent gross rabbits. Been there, done that. Never again. :lol:

Also, thanks April for the helpful links!