Giant breed cages

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeadowView

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting some checkered giants within the next year or so and I'm starting to do the preparation and research for them. I'm having a hard time finding cages from any of the big cage producers that are big enough. I'm hoping for two ft by four ft and at least two ft high ceilings but the largest I can find are 2x3.

Any giant breeders have any tips for me about where to find cages for these guys? I don't use traditional hutches, I prefer all wire with resting mats. I can't seem to find any options short of building them myself.

Contact a cage supplier and ask if they will custom make a set of cages for you.

I just really super don't wanna mess with cage building. I am many things, and handy is not one of them.

Do y'all think 36x24x18 is enough for checkereds with regular run time and larger cages for litters? I already have a few of those from my old champagnes, and the ARBA cage size guidelines seem to say that's plenty of room. I could just get another stacker from KW and have plenty of holes for them to start as a side project.

18" isn't tall enough for a checkered giant. That cage size is pretty small for one too. They don't do was well on wire flooring, you'll probably have to make your cage to fit one.

We have used the wabbitat cages purchased from chewy.com, its around $50 for the large one. It does have a wire bottom but with a floor mat I think they would be ok. We use the smaller version for their travel cages (for our Giant Chins-not full grown yet but at intermediate weight now). Something to look into anyway. Our permanent cages are made of wood, and they are 4ft by 3 ft. Not sure if that is sufficiant but they seem to do ok and we do excercise them regularly.

Bass Equipment also makes 48"x30" cages, but they are 18" tall. I second the idea of calling around and asking for custom builds. Bass has always worked with me on changes.

Thanks all, I think I have a gameplan.

I can't believe I missed the 48 x 30 cages on KW. I feel like a dummy, I thought I looked everywhere! Still, after a bit more research I think it would be best to have those 24in ceilings. They're not short rabbits!

I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and buy a roll of wire from amazon. It'll be cheaper than having custom cages built and it'll be good for me to learn. I have a plan in mind, at this point it's just a matter of execution, so we'll see. I think I wanna do double decker flush clean style cages, but I want to brace the floors so there's support for that kind of weight. We had a 6x3x3 cage built for one of my flemish giants ages ago, and I'm looking back on that design for inspiration. Should work alright. I'll make sure to update y'all once I get them built.

It'll be while, though, so no one should hold their breath. ;)

CG have smaller feet holding up the same body weight compared to other giant breeds. They really do better on solid bottoms, from what I've seen

Building cages is pretty easy. My dad built my first cages many years ago when I got started as a youth.

SableSteel":2hxfzzbw said:
CG have smaller feet holding up the same body weight compared to other giant breeds. They really do better on solid bottoms, from what I've seen

What I've done for every full-arched/large/sensitive footed rabbit I've owned is kind of a half and half set-up, with a thin untreated wood board taking half the floor space, which has worked pretty well in the past. Usually they still go through the wire and when they don't it's easily swept off the board. I'm gonna try this, and if I have problems I'll fix it. Ain't nothing that can't be adjusted as needed.

I work 40 hrs a week and run a business on the side, I just don't have time to completely clean a cage (let alone several) every day, and when we have completely solid bottoms that's what ends up happening. I keep things pretty clean, and I've never been able to keep solid bottom cages clean enough to prevent gross rabbits. Been there, done that. Never again. :lol:

Also, thanks April for the helpful links!

Latest posts

Back