Normal Doe Behaviour Questions

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kbru

Reaction score
Good day, I have a doe who is pregnant and this is my first one. I have a couple questions which I could not find direct answers to in the search.
1) she started collecting hay yesterday (approx day 22) but has since stopped trying to build a nest and did not use the nesting box I put in her cage... is this normal for them to start and stop building nests ? . I have since removed the nesting box for now.
2) do you always see the babies moving in the belly if they are healthy ? I don't see any definite movement which is making me nervous. Thank you for answering newbie questions:)

if she is a first-time mom, it's totally normal for her to not *quite* understand what she's supposed to do. she still has plenty of time to figure out how to build a nest and where it goes. i don't normally even give my does nest boxes until day 28 or so, when they're really ready to start nesting. i find it helps first timers understand what to do with it. if she continues to not nest in the box, you can gently move her nest to the box and maybe she will understand. if not, just keep an eye on her and make sure you can move nest + kits to the box when they're born so they stay warm and safe. there is also a possibility that she is having a false pregnancy, though usually they begin that process within two weeks of breeding.

as for seeing kits move, i honestly only usually see movement in the week or so before kindle, so i wouldn't worry too much. if she's having a small litter you may not see anything at all, or movement only on one side of her body.

Yeah, don't worry about the nesting now. My first timers usually freak out at week 3 and start carrying hay everywhere and generally making a mess. When it gets to actual nesting time they have all figured out where to nest. I had one who was stubbornly taking the nest out of the box, but after putting the box where she was trying to nest and continually putting the hay back, she got the idea.

As for kicks, look out at around 3 1/2 weeks, about day 25 or 26. That's usually when they start, although they are quite subtle at that time. During the last week they kick more often and it's more pronounced.

WELCOME!!

I've had does that start nest building and pulling fur at day 14 and I have a doe that waits until she is giving birth to build a nest. Each one is different and inconsistent.

I have never had a doe with kits you can see moving... I've seen it in a friend's rex, but my Harlequins are good at hiding the babies. I have never been able to feel them either.
I usually just put a nest box in 5-7 days before the main event and hope for the best.

Good luck with your doe... they often times do everything right, but we are here to help or listen and empathise if they don't.

I think its pretty normal for her to start and stop. Especially if you moved her nest around to put in the nest box.

As for moving babies I have no idea. We have only had one litter of two (one very large DOA and one alive normal size). I could tell she was "fatter" in that area but no movement. I've heard many breeders say they rarely know if the doe is pregnant till the last week.

Thank you all for your help. Despite nesting 10 days early she had 3 beautiful babies on day 31!

Back