Free rabbits off CL > Canning > Belly Flap Jerky

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok, that looks awesome. i'm not a huge fan of the flaps (i don't mind them, but they are kinda chewy,) and i've been curious about making jerkey and now i have to try it!

Canning is an excellent way to take care of that old buck that bit you one too many times. :x The older ones can be a little stringy if not almost over done. That's one of the reasons I run mine 80 minutes. Usually there is a little more fat to clean off before processing but I think it's more than worth the trouble.

Most of the time I get 2-1/2 to 3 quarts out of a Flemish Giant. I've never noticed any taste difference between a 4 month or a 3 year old. They all make great rabbit pie at our house. ;)

Oh me oh my. Easiest deboning ever! Bones popped right out and the meat was very tender, tastes just like canned chicken. I could not be more pleased with this whole venture and I see many more canned rabbits in my future.
DSC06324.jpg

Apparently 1 quart of thighs makes exactly the right amount of broth and meat for a rabbit pot pie! :p DSC06328.jpg

Well, I think this book is closed, from live buns through the canning and now ending on the final test tasting. :D

Thank you so much for posting the jerky recipes and how you did them. I have a bag of belly flaps in my freezer that I can planned on grinding but I think now I'll thaw them and try this.

Crazy, I'd like to sincerely thank you for this whole post... so many delicious ideas (and pictures)!

One problem: I might have to clean up the copious amounts of drool off my work area in the aftermath of staring at your food photos. :roll:

Oh, and this?
2CrazyFools":3dkajdwt said:
TIP: Use a good pair of fabric scissors to cut the belly flaps into strips, easy peasy.
SHAME! Fabric scissors are not misappropriated in my household (ask my DH about that time he tried to "borrow" a pair from me to cut up his old credit card); we get extra scissors for those things. Fabric scissors gotta stay sharp! Haha, alright, rant over. :oops:

Nymphadora":b5d8icop said:
Oh, and this?
2CrazyFools":b5d8icop said:
TIP: Use a good pair of fabric scissors to cut the belly flaps into strips, easy peasy.
SHAME! Fabric scissors are not misappropriated in my household (ask my DH about that time he tried to "borrow" a pair from me to cut up his old credit card); we get extra scissors for those things. Fabric scissors gotta stay sharp! Haha, alright, rant over. :oops:

:lol: I grew up with my gma drilling that into my head and now I am the same way :oops: I have pink handled scissors that I painted flowers on, just for fabric. I found them in the dishwasher one day :evil: :roll: It doesn't matter how different they are from anything else in this house, there is still confusion!

My mom's gingers were off limits no matter what you "thought" you were going to cut. If it wasn't fabric for a sewing project, they stayed in their drawer....

Hahaha, you guys, this is literally what I wrote on my facebook post about the belly flap jerky, "To cut the belly flaps into strips I used fabric scissors, you know the ones your grandmother beats you for using on anything other than fabric? Those are perfect. Go grab those." :lol: Then I get these responses, so perfect!

Alforddm - I'm so glad you're going to give it a shot! I'm making up the second batch tomorrow morning and taking half of them to give to one of my husband's friends in exchange for him doing something for the hubby. The other half I WILL save for my husband when I see him Friday. I WILL save them. I will NOT eat them. I will not eat them. ...

Nymph - So glad you enjoyed the post! I cannot believe how lucky I got with those buns and everything after that, just wish I could have held onto those five for longer but... it worked out well especially with me going out of town.

Good job! Not only looks great, but looks tasty, too.

If you don't like the looks of meat in canning jars, how about putting a label on them? Or wrapping them with paper held on with string or something so you could take it off when deciding which jar to make into the next pot pie?

As a seamstress, I actually live by fabric scisors, especially tiny ones. I have a ton tiny ones, 2 are for skinning rabbits and fleshing the hides, 1 is for sewing at home, 1 is for sewing at work, 1 is for embroidery, one is for everyday use on paper and stuff and a few other spares too. My huge fabric scisors I only use for fabrics though, they are too big to handle in general. Needle like point super sharp embroidery scisors though :love:
In short, I never buy anything other then fabric scisors XD and once a pair gets too dull for one job I move it down to a tougher job (every day use or skinning) and buy new ones for sewing

KimitsuKouseki":2m5uuv87 said:
In short, I never buy anything other then fabric scisors XD and once a pair gets too dull for one job I move it down to a tougher job (every day use or skinning) and buy new ones for sewing
Not a bad plan, once they're no longer being used as "fabric" scissors... :D

2CrazyFools":2m5uuv87 said:
Hahaha, you guys, this is literally what I wrote on my facebook post about the belly flap jerky, "To cut the belly flaps into strips I used fabric scissors, you know the ones your grandmother beats you for using on anything other than fabric? Those are perfect. Go grab those." :lol: Then I get these responses, so perfect!
Hahaha, I can just imagine all the indignant grandmothers out there... :rant: :chair:

I feel indignant! i come from a long line of seamstresses so the idea of using my fabric scissors to cut meat is just. (clutches heart) no doubt it works well though, haha.

i bought a sharpener and regularly sharpen my kitchen shears ;P it's less likely to get my haunted by three generations of grandmother!

Latest posts

Back