Decisions...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Dutchess

Reaction score
So I've been showing more. And I noticed something. My Jersey Woolies consistently progress and sell well. My Mini Lops.. not so much. There are SO MANY Mini Lop breeders EVERYWHERE where I am. So competition is insane, and I am having problems selling.. then again, I do have all bucks which generally don't sell well for some reason. But I really like the lop personality. And I just bought a nice buck with a leg. But I have no promising does, and it's always one step forward, three steps back. First year, great buck, mediocre does. Buck died of heart attack. 2nd year, great buck, mediocre does. Babies weren't good. 3rd year, good doe, great buck, bad babies. What in the world am I doing wrong? Now I have a buck who won BOG at ML Nationals, and the doe that got Reserve Grand Champion at the fair didn't even place. Consistently. I've decided I want to focus on the Woolies. But I have a few things to consider.
1) The doe that is now not doing good at shows is a gorgeous sweetie whom I've had since birth. She's my favorite rabbit, hands down. I hate to be sentimental about a rabbit, but I am. I guess I just need reassurance. If you had a doe that you loved, but it turns out that she grew up with the fault you're trying hard to breed out, would you keep her?
2) I may just sell all my does (no promising juniors, mediocre doe), focus on Woolies and get a doe when the time is right. Would you keep the highly popular, low demand breed because you just got a nice buck, or would you get out of the popular breed? I've had my eye on Velveteen Lops since they first existed. This brings me to question three.
3) If I could create my perfect breed, it would be a lop-eared rabbit with rex fur and a personality to make anyone melt. Oh look at that! I just described a Velveteen Lop! Velveteens have a working standard, so with a bit of hassle I can get them on the show table. Right? Anyone know anything about what it's like to show VLs? What is it like breeding/owning them? Would you mess around with a rare breed? I could always just sell my Mini Lop does and not get anything except 1 velveteen to see if I like it. That way if I don't think I want to breed them I can keep the V-lop as a pet/show bunny and get a Mini Lop doe.

Sorry for the scatter-brained post. :oops: Thanks in advance! :D

Thanks, AprilW. I think at this point what I'm going to do is focus on selling all my unwanted juniors to free up space. Then I'll just have the Mini Lop buck, favorite doe and a breeding pair of Jersey Woolies. From there I'm planning on casually looking for a show quality V-Lop and watching my ML buck's rabbitry to see what they have available (I really like that rabbitry so I'll see if they put anything up for sale). To be honest, I didn't really think about lines. The doe I bred myself from my 4-H leader's lines, and the buck I got from a totally unrelated but highly recommended rabbitry. Since the lines are unrelated completely I can see why the babies were really wild cards. *derp* :p

I made the decision of getting rid of my meat rabbits to focus on my show breed Magpie Harlequins....

it was a tough choice, but I managed to find a young couple starting out and gave them a deal!! she has given me updates and I feel really good that she has my babies to do meat rabbits with her husband. (I was working on tri coloured pelts with NZ bodies)

I DO NOT regret it one bit!! I have more space for my show breed.

I personally would keep the buck, sell the rest... look for a doe from the same family....
Show the rabbits that are making you happy and keep your eyes open for your velveteen lop
If you have room keep your favourite.... Although I'm glad I didn't keep mine... she loves being a moma and she wouldn't get to do that in my barn, if I'd kept her

Back