Seeking replacement buck; is 6 pounds at 15 weeks good?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenoshaRabbits

Reaction score
Short Story
I am looking for a replacement California buck for my meat heard. I found someone online that has a 15 week old buck that weighs about 6 pounds. Dam is 10.75 pounds and Sire is 9.5 pounds. My meat rabbits don't make it past 12 weeks so I don't know if this sounds good, bad, so-so? Unfortunately the guy is 90 minutes away so I don't want to travel out of my way for a dud.
I was wondering if anyone who has grown out a buck could offer an opinion on whether 6 pounds at 15 weeks sounds good.

Long Story
I've decided to start the search to replace my Californian buck. I got him at 6 months old and he was kinda small. I was hoping he might grow a little more but that has not been the case. He has leveled off at 7 pounds. He seems tiny compared to my 10+ pound does. And it shows in his offspring, his kits seem smaller than those from bigger bucks.

I have a few options, the best buck out of the latest litter is a 4.5 pounder at 11 weeks. But I'd rather not wait 3 months to find out how big he will ultimately get, personality, what kind of litters he'll produce.

I also have a 9 pound French Angora buck. I suppose he could fill in while waiting for a junior to grow out. While I don't mind eating meat mutts (I end up with NZxCali from one of my other does) I would miss having purebred Cali's (especially since my Cali doe is my best for meat production).

I've started searching for Cali bucks but the selection is small. Most people raise New Zealands, so if you want a Cali you'll have to travel, and you'll probably have to settle for a junior. My best lead so far is someone 1.5-2.0 hrs away with junior bucks for sale. The man said he has some 6 pounders that are roughly 4 months old. I have no clue whether that is good or bad. Additionally, I don't know how that compares to my 4.5 pound junior buck. I'd hate to spend the time and money going to get a buck when I could just wait 3 weeks and have a 6 pounder of my own; lol. But I have no clue what the growth is like after 12 weeks.

I'd appreciate any thought or opinions. Thanks!

Screen Shot 2017-06-20 at 2.31.52 PM.png

15 weeks = 105 days
Range: 2600g - 3000g (5.73lb - 6.6lb)
According to this chart that's good!

62303bffb4f73846765536b44846f9cd.jpg
Then according to this chart he should have been 6lbs back at week 12, lol.

See if you can find out how much he weighed at 8 weeks and 12 weeks, because that's really what you're looking for isn't it?

Latest posts

Back