Breeding Rex and Chinchilla Rabbit

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riki

Reaction score
I have a male Rex and a female Chinchilla rabbit, I'd like to get some different perspectives about how the kits.

The rex fur is recessive, so all the babies would just have normal fur. You'll probably just get chestnuts for color too (unless the rex is a chinchilla, squirrel, frosty, ermine, white, Californian, seal, sable point, self chin, sable, smoke pearl, sallander or other chinchilla/himi/shaded based color). They'd be okay meat rabbits, not as good as pure chinchilla, but better than pure rex.

I have found that, depending on the TYPE on your REX, you will have smaller than Chinchilla kits... they will grow a little slower, but if your rex line is compact and blocky like some of them... you could get good meat rabbits that are a little smaller.

FUR:
the rex fur is recessive, but I have found ones I have crossed to have a denser, shorter, softer fur than the non-rex parent.. but in no way is it REX fur!!

This is one of my first generation rex crosses (rex x new Zealand mix)
TriHarder.png

Going to be breeding for meat so that is good to hear, also the fur and trying to get an interesting mix of fur. :bunnyhop: <br /><br /> __________ Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:10 pm __________ <br /><br /> I'll link pictures tomorrow :)

This is the male Rex, his fur pattern is pretty cool.

DSC02129_zpsp8oqci1b.jpg

He looks like a broken black otter. He is a cute bun for sure :) I do not think he would give you any kits with his markings bred to a chinchilla. Also, you would not get the rex fur texture. If you took one of his daughters and bred him back to her you would get some with the rex fur texture.

Do you have Rex or Mini Rex? He looks a bit small, but perhaps he's young. If you have proper Rex, they are a commercial breed, 8-10lbs, you should get a decent meat rabbit.

Latest posts

Back