Head Tilt

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ingridsstation

Reaction score
Hi my name Ingrid, I'm a new kid on the block, My rabbit has contracted this head tilt, went to the vet that handles rabbits. He stated this is common and gave me medication, one for head tilt, one for nausea, then when he got worse gave me antibiotic. I looked online about Head Tilts and found that there could be some lasting damage. It also stated that the eyes could also have problems like not blinking, or the second eye lid will not close. That eye drops need to be used to moisten the eyes. Does anyone know what eye drops could be used for Jasper my rabbit, he is starting to get better. He is eating again and drink. The last 3 weeks were tearful ones.

The only eye drops that I know to be safe for humans and animals is "Artificial Tears". However I would consult your vets office to make sure that they recommend it and how much you should be using. I am not a Veterinarian.

I wouldn't mess with eye drops. I didn't use them and both the head tilt rabbits I had made a full recovery. Those symptoms don't happen to all the rabbits; and if yours needed eyedrops, you'd probably notice something wrong with their eyes. I've never heard of somebody using eyedrops either. If the head tilt is responding to antibiotics, then it's likely not caused by e cuniculi (the other common cause of head tilt). Now e cuniculi can cause eye problems (mine had nystagmus), which may be what the article you saw was referring to. Ask your vet if you are concerned

My rabbit with head tilt did not require eye drops, unfortunately he is blind, but I believe he was blind before the head tilt happened. Got him from a zoo with no ability to handle him first. He is a giant, and will be a big blind special care case. He has recovered from the tilt, however he still tilts his head, he didn't recover 100 percent unfortunately.

DaytonHillRabbits":ls6igikg said:
My rabbit with head tilt did not require eye drops, unfortunately he is blind, but I believe he was blind before the head tilt happened. Got him from a zoo with no ability to handle him first. He is a giant, and will be a big blind special care case. He has recovered from the tilt, however he still tilts his head, he didn't recover 100 percent unfortunately.
omg I was wondering how he was doing! give him time maybe he'll improve? I had a female I was convinced was blind when I got her and now I'm not sure anymore XD

thanks everyone, Did a little checked on eye drops and lubricate and ointments. The veterinarian for my cat and dog, said I could use eye ointment. But found out from the pharmacy that the ointments causes blurred vision, not something that he needs right now. Jasper's vet moved out of state, so I have no vet that could see he at this time. But today I notice the he is blinking. The eye that is looking at the floor is closed and the eye looking at the ceiling is wide open. Do not if that will get better. How long does this Head tilt Last. I took him to the vet 5/24/2017 before the vet left the state. Oh, I didn't buy any eye meds. I'm going to do a wait and see first.

ingridsstation":3hylofs6 said:
thanks everyone, Did a little checked on eye drops and lubricate and ointments. The veterinarian for my cat and dog, said I could use eye ointment. But found out from the pharmacy that the ointments causes blurred vision, not something that he needs right now. Jasper's vet moved out of state, so I have no vet that could see he at this time. But today I notice the he is blinking. The eye that is looking at the floor is closed and the eye looking at the ceiling is wide open. Do not if that will get better. How long does this Head tilt Last. I took him to the vet 5/24/2017 before the vet left the state. Oh, I didn't buy any eye meds. I'm going to do a wait and see first.

It depends on why the rabbit has head tilt, ....
If it is caused by EC it will continue until the EC is under control, [regular antibiotics don't do much against EC. [EC is a protozoan infection]
If it is caused by a bacterial infection it should improve after the infection is gone.
If it is EC you will most likely begin to notice some mobility problems along with the head tilt, such as limping, circling, listing to one side, difficulty getting up, or walking straight.

---- and--- the blurred vision from optixcare only lasts a minute or two, until the meds are spread across the eye by blinking.- If the eye dries out because the blinking response is reduced, the eye will hurt, and become permanently damaged.

Latest posts

Back