Mr escape artist may have messed up

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tailonwolf

Reaction score
I have a 6 1/2 month old standard rex that is smart well he found his way out of his cage and into the cage with my 2 10-12 week old does what should i do? I have place for the babies but im conserned for the young does since they are so young thankfully its been really hot so i dont know how fertile he is what is the best action to take?

What size is the breed of the does? 10-12 weeks would be possible for small breeds, but quite young for medium sized rabbits.

Anyway, I wouldn't count on the buck being sterile - that only happens when you desperatly try to breed them :roll: , be prepared, give them two nest boxes when the time comes.

I don't think the age is a big problem.

Well, no point in worrying about something you can't change anyway, and I've rarely heard of any problems for the doe due to surprise litters after the sex change fairy paid a visit. It's not considered the best age for good results and the does constitution, but it's not like they tend to fail too frequently or that it would do long term harm.
Sometimes her instincts are somewhat confused and she doesn't do everything in the right order, but that can happen with any first timer.

Just make sure they have no stress, enough food, and enough nesting material when the time comes - if they are pregnant at all, which I do not think is more likely than not considering that mine 7-8lbs. rabbits mature at about 14-16 weeks.

Despite what is commonly believed, so long as mammals have sufficient nutrition, there are rarely problems from "teen" pregnancies. There is a somewhat increased risk of birth difficulties, but it is still quite low. Studies in beef cattle show breeding at 1yrs vs 2 yrs increases production value of the cow (over her lifetime) even when the slight increase in maternal difficulties and lower first time calf weaning weight were taken into count.

Now that being said, it is unlikely that your girls are bred. My rex coated crosses generally mature around 16 weeks of age. My pedigreed rex are usually a bit later.

Latest posts

Back