Register

Rabbit Heads

One recipe per topic, please, to allow for comments and tweaking.
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Australia Male
BunnyBucks: 70.00

Re: Rabbit Heads

Post Number:#16  Unread postby Lloyd » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:05 pm

bucknercrestfarm have you heard of any recipes for ears?
3 ISA Browns and Hoping to get some New Zealand White Rabbits at the end of 2015 to produce the best meat rabbits in NSW, Australia. Also wanting to create my own meat rabbit breed.

Female
BunnyBucks: 1,455.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby LPH_NY » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:13 am

Lloyd wrote:bucknercrestfarm have you heard of any recipes for ears?

http://hungryinhogtown.typepad.com/hung ... ble_e.html

I think that link might have been posted somewhere on here in the past... It seems very time consuming and only worth it if you have quite a lot of ears ready all at once. I'm sure I'd try eating it if it was prepared for me, but I'm not interested in that amount of effort for what amounts to a snack or a garnish that would be gone in minutes! I would also eat the rabbit head pasta dish if it was prepared for me. I can't stomach the smell of livers being cooked, but once they were incorporated into the sauce, I doubt that I would notice.

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 31,003.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby Zass » Mon May 25, 2015 6:49 pm

When I was experimenting with scalding and de-hairing, I found the ears came clean quite easily.

Maybe if I ever have to "pluck" a bunch at one time for some reason or another.. I'll salvage the ear cartilage..

2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 1,611.00

Post Number:#19  Unread postby BlueHaven » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:32 pm

I guess my years of watching Andrew Zimmern have paid off. It doesn't really sound all that bad to me.
I also grew up in Amish country, and head cheese, and stuffed pigs stomach, while I haven't eaten them, were common in
a cook book my mom used. There were six of us, and mom bought beef heart, and tongue, now and then.
I am sure I could at least bring myself to taste. Once I did that, if it was good, I wouldn't have
a problem with it. Back in the sixties, If not for rabbits and a huge garden we would have been in a pinch I am sure.

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 2,905.00

Post Number:#20  Unread postby a7736100 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:06 am

So has anyone had any heads since the last post? I'm interested in trying the brain cause I used to like brains before the mad cow thing. Also if I just boil the head without skinning it first, would it ruin the taste? I'm thinking cooked fur would be easier to remove.

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 14,277.00

Post Number:#21  Unread postby alforddm » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:18 am

My dad used to fry squirrel heads whole along with the rest of the squirrel and eat the brains and tongue. You should be able to use the rabbit heads the same way.

Here is a pasta recipe that uses rabbit heads.
http://fxcuisine.com/Default.asp?langua ... ution=high

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 2,564.00

Post Number:#22  Unread postby 2CrazyFools » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:40 pm

*Drags up a zombie thread*

Picture from: HERE

Guys. I'm doing it. I got given 16 young rabbits yesterday and I processed them all today, and so now I have 16 skinned rabbit heads! I want to try this so badly but we'll see what my stomach says, lol.

I'm having a hard time finding an adobo sauce to my liking though, does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking about doing 8 of them up one way and then 8 up another way. Maybe the first a really spicy sauce and the second more of a sweet one?

Sauce suggestions, throw 'em at me! :D
Rabbitry ~ ImageImageImage ~ Recipes

Previous