Not hides, a skull question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
So I have heard about making a maggot container for chickens but the smell has always put me off. Rotting flesh in the Florida heat is just nasty. Dog killed a snake yesterday and by gum, you can smell the bits she left right across the yard. Yuck!

But pine horse bedding seems to soak up smells so I was wondering what would happen if I took a large container, drilled inch holes along the bottom edge, put the heads I want cleaned onto a layer of pine bedding and covered them with more.

As carrion maggots get ready to pupate they tend to move quite a way away so they should go out the holes for the chickens to eat.

My question is, how clean do you think the skulls will get in that kind of set up?

I wanted to get flesh eating beetles but I cant afford them right now so this might get me clean skulls and happy chickens with no huge bad smelly mess.

Fire ants work really well if you have something keep the skull in to keep it from getting dragged away by something. Sorry, I can't help with your idea, I really don't have a clue if that would work.

there's really not a way to make death not smell. even beetles smell bad. the pine shavings might help, but it'll still stink, and in my experience unless you keep the meat moist, you'll end up with dried skin/meat on your skull that you have to soak in water to remove anyway.

i put my skulls in a bucket with about an inch of water and i have clean bones in a 2 or 3 weeks. i find it smells around the yard for a couple days until the maggots eat most of the meat off and then it only smells when you get right over the buckets or start digging in them. i live very closely to my neighbours and i've never had a complaint. but it is pretty gross still, my hands smell like rot for the rest of the day after i take cleaned skulls out, even when i wear gloves. there's just no smell-free way to clean bones unfortunately.

alforddm":379a80cp said:
Fire ants work really well if you have something keep the skull in to keep it from getting dragged away by something. Sorry, I can't help with your idea, I really don't have a clue if that would work.

No fire ants here :D the native (and other non native) ants are really strong so the fire ants dont get much of a look in. I dont mind a bit, even when big head ants start farming mealybugs on my pepper plants roots.

I had a damaged 'possum once that died in its cardboard hide box and none of us noticed, the box soaked up all its smell so we all just kept feeding the poor dead thing for months. :lol:

I suppose the only thing I can do is give it a try and see what happens, will go to the farm swap next Sat. and see if I can pick up a few rabbits ready for dinner. Cant wait to have buns of my own again!

Latest posts

Back