RE: making or losing money?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spend $35 every 2 weeks for pellets. Can't eat them any more because it's too hard for me emotionally to kill them since I hug and pet each one. Easiest for me to sell a whole litter cheap to the pet shop before I get attached to them. Problem is more people have baby rabbits than there are potential pet owners.

I know this is a bit after the fact but people seem to be reading the post so I am posting this to be hopefully helpful to someone.

I have focused more on the show rabbits then anything but the methods are about the same.

#1 - One avenue, two income streams.
Basicly for every type of animal they need to have at least 2 but 3 is better ways to make an income. So for rabbits you can sell pets, show rabbits. As well as wool, bunny poo, pelts, meat, ext..

#2 - Become known with one then expand.
Meaning find that one thing that you love to do and are really good at and become known for it. Then grow from there.

#3 - Waiting lists are gold!
Never rely on someone to get back with you. Life gets busy and people forget, but if you get their contact info and you can contact them you will increase your sales by double. I personally don't have to advertise animals for sale but maybe twice per year. The rest are sold to people waiting for animals.

#4 - Treat it like a business.
I saw many people do this on the comments but keep track of everything you spend. Even if it is a $5 brush. This will help you be able to see where you need to cut back if animals are not selling like they should. As hard as it is don't get attached to the animals going to be sold. Keep the adults as your pets but avoid those cute little furry faces like the pelage.

Hope this was somewhat helpful.

Love what Leahs Lovely Lops said!

The idea of treating it like a business is key. We have made money on our rabbits, enough to pay for more rabbits and all that they require. Its been good! But we also show and work to improve our lines, and started with Holland Lops (which is what we are known for). We now have Calis, Giant Chins, and Lionheads too. The best source of advertising for me has been facebook. I created a business facebook page, South Texas Holland Lops and do updates when new litters are born. This keeps things fresh in my customers minds and then they flock to me for bunnies! I have only had to advertise on Craigslist once this year I believe, for an older doe (they are always the toughest to sell as most want babies). Mine all sell for $50 for pet quality, $100 for pedigreed/show quality. And we are just now building our show line so we have yet to try out the $100 price margin. No one in our area sells BEW Hollands, so we are setting up for that next year too (now is summer break so we are acquiring stock).

We have business cards, set goals for our business, track income and expenses (just starting that and its tough but I know it will pay off in the end), and always send off our bunnies with some feed and info on how to care for them.

Back