Box turtle eggs!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarheel506

Reaction score
boxturtle.jpgWhen I let the dogs out after supper they promptly informed me that there was an intruder in the back yard...box turtle! She was holding her hind leg kind of funny, so I picked her up just to make sure she wasn't injured. I felt terrible when I saw that she had dug a nest, and sat her right back down. I was afraid that between the dogs and me picking her up she was going to take off, but she's still there, laying eggs. Will be building a cage around the nest site tomorrow. Yay, box turtles!

Fun!! A couple down the road are having a time with turtles in their garden so I was guessing it was egg laying time. That would be so fun to watch if you just happen to catch them emerging!

FourRingCircus":nunpjywb said:
Fun!! A couple down the road are having a time with turtles in their garden so I was guessing it was egg laying time. That would be so fun to watch if you just happen to catch them emerging!

Sounds like they may have some nests, too :) I put a wire cage around the site today to keep out predators, so I'll be keeping an eye out in a few months and will post pictures if I get babies!

Congratulations!
The only thing I know about box turtles is that we should not try to re-locate them. They will drive themselves crazy trying to get back to what they consider their home turf. Guess you will have some permanent residents. :D

Latest posts

Back