New here and a few questions

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

account1113

Reaction score
Hey guys been browsing the forum, recently joined, and have found lots of useful information that has helped me prepare to start raising rabbits. I do have a few questions I hope someone here can help me with. I just bought these two rabbits from an Atwoods. Can anyone tell me what breed they might be? Also i think I have a male and a female. Thanks

Attachments

• female-unknown.jpg
    female-unknown.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 2,213
  • male-unknown.jpg
    male-unknown.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 2,213
  • breed-unknown.jpg
    breed-unknown.jpg
    398.3 KB · Views: 2,213
they look like new zealands or just 'meat mutts' to me. they'll likely be great meat rabbits!

as for sexes, the second one kinda looks like a make but it's a bit hard to make out. the second is definitely female. you'll want to separate them asap before they start making lots of little bunnies before you're ready ;D

The white one looked like a male to me as well (from what I've read/seen from internet research). In the process right now of putting together the second pen. I'm don't know if they are siblings and I want to breed them, how much of a concern is this? Thanks

If your goal is to eat the offspring, then sibling breeding isn't a concern. I've read that somewhere like 18 generations of sibling breedings may finally show deformities, but until then it's just, "Keep the best, eat the rest!"

I agree with Shazza, they appear to just be your typical New Zealand meat mutts. How old are they and what are their weights?

I plan on raising these for meat. No clue of age they had been at the Atwoods I bought them from for no more than a week so maybe 6-8 weeks I'm guessing. Already built a second cage with frame kit and am ordering 2 more this week. Thanks for the warm welcome and all the helpful answers.

Rabbits are around 3-4lbs. I'll update my profile, thanks for the suggestion. Got the rabbits in a 150 sq ft air conditioned shed right now, I'll post pictures in the appropriated forum when my setup is completed. Thanks again guys!

Based on my experience with NZ meat mutts, 4 pounds at 6-8 weeks would mean either 1) you have one heck of growth rate, or 2) they're older than you think. Other members please correct me if I'm wrong...

If they are older than you think, and you're not prepared to house a litter in about 30 days, then you should get them in their own cages asap. Even if you're prepared for a litter, I would still suggest getting them apart and letting them breed while you're able to observe. Otherwise, it can be difficult to judge when you should put in your nestbox and when the doe will be due.

Best of luck, and just FYI, you've found a network with some of the most helpful rabbit folks EVER!!

tarheel506":1ajl598p said:
Based on my experience with NZ meat mutts, 4 pounds at 6-8 weeks would mean either 1) you have one heck of growth rate, or 2) they're older than you think. Other members please correct me if I'm wrong...

If they are older than you think, and you're not prepared to house a litter in about 30 days, then you should get them in their own cages asap. Even if you're prepared for a litter, I would still suggest getting them apart and letting them breed while you're able to observe. Otherwise, it can be difficult to judge when you should put in your nestbox and when the doe will be due.

Best of luck, and just FYI, you've found a network with some of the most helpful rabbit folks EVER!!

I've already ordered an additional 2 cages to go with the 2 I currently have. She has either gotten fat awfully quick or I'll be making use of those additional cages. I'll palpate her abdomen again in a week or so. When I bought the rabbits and cages one of the two cages was missing the back panel so I had to have the company send me one (was last 2 at store) so they shared a cage for about 5 days. Looks like this breeding operation may have gotten off to a quick start :lol:

3-4 lbs would put you roughly at 8 weeks of age if these were pure Nz, pure Cali, or a first gen mixing of the two. My mutts were about this weight at week 9/10, though there's really no telling. I picked up a meat mutt (free) who was a very healthy 5.4 lbs. This was an adult at over a year old. :shock: So there's no telling what age they are without knowing their breed makeups even with the weights. They do appear to still have their baby fuzz and my buns start turning sleek at about 2.5 months and now at 3 months there's hardly a baby whiff left.

So if I were in your shoes I would assume they are between 8 and 12 weeks of age but understand thats just guesswork, lol.

For ease of comparison:
1lb ~ 450 g
2lb ~ 910 g
3lb ~ 1360 g
4lb ~ 1810 g
5lb ~2270 g
Screen Shot 2017-06-20 at 2.31.52 PM.png
62303bffb4f73846765536b44846f9cd.jpg

Welcome! Looks like most of your questions have already been answered, but just wanted to say I am happy to have another Texan in the forum! There are a few of us here, its been a huge help to me and I am sure you will find the same. Keep posting updates so we get to see whats happening:)

Update:
They are both males :-/ I picked up another meat mutt yesterday that I identified as a doe. Hopefully I'm right this time lol

Latest posts

Back