Register

Treating the heard for vent disease-Advice please!

Diagnosing and treating rabbit ailments. *Caution! These threads may contain graphic content.*
2 years of membership2 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 1142
Joined: February 26, 2015
Location: South TX
United States of America Female
Thanks: 84
Thanked: 138 in 128 posts
BunnyBucks: 6,292.00

Treating the heard for vent disease-Advice please!

Post Number:#1  Unread postby macksmom98 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:36 pm


So I have had some new to me issues in my rabbitry recently, and long story short it appears we have ended up with vent disease. There are lots of articles and conflicting info on this, and infected Doe has 4-4 week old kits now. So far I have treated Doe and Buck that had flaking skin, with .3 cc of Pen G-combo.

From here, should I treat everyone else? Kits? Give them some bene bac in their feed even if they are just nursing from the treated Doe? Should I completely remove them as she will soon wean them? And could I have infected other rabbits by touching infected one then touching another?

Also-how long should I treat? Just until I see improvement in symptoms OR should I wait til it completely goes away? Thanks! Thought we may have had this once a couple of yrs ago but that rabbit never got better....

Last question (I think). When giving sub q injections do you need to go in very far? I just pushed needle into flap of skin and made sure it was in, but didn't go real far.

User avatar
Posts: 333
Joined: April 13, 2017
Location: Quebec
Canada Female
Thanks: 17
Thanked: 44 in 40 posts
BunnyBucks: 1,870.00

Re: Treating the heard for vent disease-Advice please!

Post Number:#2  Unread postby KimitsuKouseki » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:53 pm


make sure the needle goes under the skin but not inside the muscles.

my dosage is 0.1cc per pound minus 0.075cc for safety.

treat the kits only once they reach at least 1lbs at a dosage of 0.05cc the first 2 shots, 0.075cc on the 3rd shot an 0.1cc afterwards.

injections are to be done every 3 days, full treatment takes about 2 weeks, 5 to 6 shots total

check your herd for carriers before deciding to treat em all. If theres carriers or you think theres a risk because they'd been in contact with the infected ones, treat everyone.

Check for diahrrea every day on everyone you treat. If a bun gets diahrrea stop treatment immediatelly and if you have access to borgal, give em a dose and fingers crossed they pull through. Only restart treatment on that bun once you know they're back to health and reduce dosage by 0.15cc insted of the usual -0.075cc when restarting for the first 3 shots before going back to the normal dosage.

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 50
Joined: July 22, 2014
Location: NC
United States of America Female
Thanks: 4
Thanked: 4 in 4 posts
BunnyBucks: 303.00

Re: Treating the heard for vent disease-Advice please!

Post Number:#3  Unread postby tarheel506 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:31 pm


:yeahthat:

SC injections should not go very deep, you only want to puncture the skin. The most common issue with SC injections is actually poking right back out the other side and watching your med trickle down the *outside* of the skin :shock:

2 years of membership2 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 1142
Joined: February 26, 2015
Location: South TX
United States of America Female
Thanks: 84
Thanked: 138 in 128 posts
BunnyBucks: 6,292.00

Re: Treating the heard for vent disease-Advice please!

Post Number:#4  Unread postby macksmom98 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:05 pm


I made sure that didnt happen, but I can see how easily it could!!!!! Thanks for the clarification. I think I knew it was probably ok but the 2nd opinion is nice:).

As for the kits I have removed them from mom, and everyone has clean water and food tonight. I'll weigh them in the morning and see if they are at least 1 lb. They are all promised to buyers so I will be sure to give full treatment and disclose what happened if they all make it.....so frustrating, NOT what I wanted to be dealing with.

Some people say that it's really never cured just goes dormant and can flare up later, I would love to know anyone else's experience with this. I don't want to cull Doe but I also don't want to risk my whole herd.

User avatar
Posts: 333
Joined: April 13, 2017
Location: Quebec
Canada Female
Thanks: 17
Thanked: 44 in 40 posts
BunnyBucks: 1,870.00

Re: Treating the heard for vent disease-Advice please!

Post Number:#5  Unread postby KimitsuKouseki » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:19 am


it goes dormant if not treated aka "carriers" once treated you're fine its gone. It's just a very very common disease and your buns could get reinfected by new buns and so on. So far for me every single rabbit I took in was a carrier! and 90% of the people I met were unaware of the disease. Their buns are carriers but since they never had an activated bun they never realised there was something. So you bet it's the first thing I check now. The main purpose of quarantine for new buns is for vent desease in my case. I so have the greatest luck in the world dont I? :?

You dont need to tell the customers the full details, just say they were treated against it and you dont need to say more then that. Before selling em treat them against parasites with ivermectin too. Your customers will just be gratefull you sold them a bunny that was treated in general.

2 years of membership2 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 1142
Joined: February 26, 2015
Location: South TX
United States of America Female
Thanks: 84
Thanked: 138 in 128 posts
BunnyBucks: 6,292.00

Re: Treating the heard for vent disease-Advice please!

Post Number:#6  Unread postby macksmom98 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:59 am


That's great advice! Thank you:)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests