Register

Hello :]] Pictures and probably too many words

Site News, Announcements, Posting Guidelines and Introductions.
BunnyBucks: 182.00

Hello :]] Pictures and probably too many words

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Marie28 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:20 am

Hello :]] My husband and I have just started breeding Silver foxes for meat and to sell. We just moved to Northern Wisconsin in October. I'm trying to get use the idea of it only getting in the mid 80s in the summer.

This is Onyx our black silver fox buck. When we first got him we where told he was a doe. Being our first rabbit purchase we learned a very valuable lesson on the sex change fairy. We where going to return him but his personality was everything we wanted in a rabbit. He is the opposite of skittish and is very affectionate. I tease my husband that if he got out in the wild he would be dead in a few days because when he hear loud noises or dogs barking he runs up to the door of the cage instead of hiding. He is my husbands favorite he follows my husband around in the makeshift run (i need to get a video).
Screen Shot 2017-06-18 at 8.52.51 AM.png
Onyx
Screen Shot 2017-06-18 at 8.52.51 AM.png (835.66 KiB) Viewed 181 times

This is Ruby our black silver fox doe. She is Onyx's half sister. She's my sweetie, she does not like the run but she is okay with being held for a little bit and being pet in her cage. She had a surprise litter and she was a lot younger than we wanted to breed her. But she did a great job as a mommy even though she had one DOA and one alive. We have just rebreed her on june 7th to Topaz.
Screen Shot 2017-06-18 at 9.00.58 AM.png
ruby watching me look at her kit
Screen Shot 2017-06-18 at 9.00.58 AM.png (857.15 KiB) Viewed 181 times
Screen Shot 2017-06-18 at 9.01.17 AM.png
ruby
Screen Shot 2017-06-18 at 9.01.17 AM.png (745.15 KiB) Viewed 181 times

This is Topaz our blue silver fox buck. He is the reason my husband and I have started saying things like "thump you" and "something to thump about". Topaz is not a big fan of pets or really any social interaction in his cage. If he is not warned that we are coming by his cage he goes to the corner where we can't see him and thumps until we leave. He's by no means aggressive ( I have no patients with getting bit or lunged at) and he's the best behave one to give "check-ups".
Screen Shot 2017-06-18 at 9.10.57 AM.png
topaz
Screen Shot 2017-06-18 at 9.10.57 AM.png (433.35 KiB) Viewed 181 times

This is Sapphire our blue silver fox doe. After finding out that we indeed had 2 bucks and 1 doe we reluctantly started looking for another doe. These pictures are when we first got she has now lost her baby fluff, soon she will go out side but for now she is inside so she can be comfortable with us. Sapphire is full of spunk and has learned treat time very very well. She also loves the outside run and seems like she will have a similar personality as Onyx.
Screen Shot 2017-06-18 at 9.17.57 AM.png
Sapphire
Screen Shot 2017-06-18 at 9.17.57 AM.png (269.22 KiB) Viewed 181 times

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 2,538.00

Re: Hello :]] Pictures and probably too many words

Post Number:#2  Unread postby 2CrazyFools » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:02 am

What a beautiful herd! I've always been partial to the look of the silver foxes, and now I've got two meat mutts that have a similar coat appearance so I'm jazzed about that (we don't have any silver fox content, hard to find any around here).

Welcome to the forum Marie! We're happy to have you here.
Rabbitry ~ ImageImageImage ~ Recipes

The following user would like to thank 2CrazyFools for this post
Marie28

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Marie28 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:35 am

Thank you :]] We are very lucky to have a few breeders sort of in our area. We drove 5 hours round trip to get Topaz and about 4 hours for sapphire. Ruby and onyx where only 2 hours away but I was very upset with the way the whole sex thing happened. Being very new to rabbits I checked the sexes and thought they where both females. They gave us a pedigree that said buck ,then gave us one that had the wrong ear #, then the 3rd pedigree they e-mail had the sex blank. I think they knew they sold us a buck and didn't want to admit the mistake.

Site Supporter
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 920.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby AmberRae » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:15 pm

Very pretty rabbits :)

1 year of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 3,551.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby SarniaTricia » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:13 am

Welcome!
Beautiful rabbits.... you post was just the right length, because we love rabbit photos :D

The sex change fairy is real! I had a doe that was shown in a triple show that ended up being a buck when I went to breed her/him.... I checked, a friend checked and three judges checked!!.... a month later I had a buck... don't go too hard on the breeder.
(correct pedigree?... maybe dis them for that... paperwork is important! :lol: )
Breeding Magpie Harlequin Rabbits for Meat and Pelts...
Working towards a farm to raise animals with respect and care.

https://www.facebook.com/BABRabbits/

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Marie28 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:56 am

Thank you :]]

I don't think they did it on purpose but it does strike me as weird with the pedigree. I won't be buying from them again because of the pedigree mess up, giving me the final "correct" pedigree with the sex blank makes me think he had some sort of idea that he gave me a buck. He could have asked me to double check or warned me since his half sister and him where caged together... thankfully he was not mature yet. He did say we could return him for a doe. But like I said he grew on us. I learned a valuable lesson for selling our own rabbits though.

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 20,672.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby Marinea » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:28 am

Welcome!

Pretty buns you have!
Bird House Farm
Organic heirloom farming on a small scale